MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the quiet stock sound, my other cars scream i like this one quiet. My down tubes are leaking. SO, what are my options, i think the muffler is ok. Probably keep the stock header. What can i do for downpipe options that wont make is sound super loud. The air intake added enough for me lol.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Identify the source of the leak precisely:
- let the engine get cold (wait till morning)
- open the engine compartment
- turn on the engine
- use the next 2 minutes search for the hot air with your fingers and palm (feel for hot air popping out of the pipe somewhere)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
You need to find the leak to know what to replace.

If it is the flex-joints then you are buying a new down pipe (this part has an expensive catalytic converter)

It it is a gasket then you you need a new gasket for $5.

If it is something else then you better know what it is. Many other random holes can be fixed at the shop for a minor charge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its the flex pipes they are all rusty, so thats my question will a high flow cat make tons of noise

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yes it will raise the volume a little. It will not be as bad as a cat bypass.

The alternative is to by a OEM style cat (new or used) or pay almost as much as new to have new flex-joints welded in. I managed to have one of the two flex joints replaced and only paid $100.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh i wont bother just changing those, ill do the whole mid pipe and cat together. i think ppe has one thats high flow and its the whole thing, down pipes and all. ill keep the stock muffler.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am, i just don't want it super loud, i have loud cars already (75 vette with side pipes) kinda like this one quiet

·
Registered
475 Posts
I managed to have one of the two flex joints replaced and only paid $100.
Yeah, I got both flex joints replaced at a muffler shop for $100-150 I think. I have a custom exhaust though, so I would have bought a down pipe and still pay the muffler shop to cut and weld it in; it was a no-brainer for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts