MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says my exhaust looks a little rusty. I finally went to clean it as best I could with a rag and some elbow grease (it's amazing what one will do to procrastinate from studying), which helped minimally. At least now I know it's a Megan racing exhaust :) Now I was just wondering if there was any way to get rid of the rust (wire brushing, light sanding, etc??) and then apply something to keep it looking fresh. Its really very light rust/browning of the exhaust. I can put up a picture if anyone really wants to see. My less patient half has contemplated painting it black with manifold paint; has anyone had any experience trying this? I don't have any clue if manifold paint would hold up or chip off. As always help is appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,207 Posts
You can use VHT ceramic coating I have a can in flat aluminum silver (500 degree) or Duplicolor in satin black. I sprayed the big heat shield in satin black.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I used high heat exhaust manifold paint on my exhaust manifold (after gutting the precats) and on my heat shields. It does a really nice job and holds up really well.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to hear the paint will hold up, now the only question is aluminum/silver or black. While aluminum/silver will keep that usual exhaust look, I've always been curious whether a black exhaust would look good or not

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I bought a can of extra high temp silver spray paint from pep boys.I used it on the manifold and main cat. It burned up and blistered in the first minute after starting the car.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I bought a can of extra high temp silver spray paint from pep boys.I used it on the manifold and main cat. It burned up and blistered in the first minute after starting the car.
You have to buy the paint for exhaust systems. Plus there is a preping and baking procedure you must follow or you are basically wasting your time and money.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a Megan exhaust, every month or so take 2000 grit sandpaper and wet sand down the surface so it's baby smooth, them Mothers metal polish it to a better than new finish. I actually started with 1000 and took the Megan racing logos off, then 2000, then polish. I even polished inside the tip, looks great. I do clean it well every time I wash the car. WET SAND.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've used this Brite Beauty high temp paint and it seems to work very well. Holds up to high temps, (the can says 1200F), and looks pretty good, too. I got mine at A-Line/Auto Plus store.

This photo shows the exhaust manifold heat shields I painted with Brite Beauty Aluminum paint.

·
Registered
384 Posts
used some steel wool

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.