MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a 2003 Spyder. Im in the middle of getting my HPU off. I was just wondering if anyone knows any easy and cheap ways to make my car sound good. I'm not able to spend lots of money right now.
Thanks, V

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
The OE exhaust is easy and cheap, if it ain't broke and you don't have funds then schedule the want later. I have had the cheaper CHE center exit exhaust and didn't care for the loudness or the fitment. I replaced it with an HKS which maybe cost $500 (part only I do all the work) with a nice sound and much better fitment.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
The stock muffler is "easy and cheap". If you are limited in funds, it might be wise to spend the funds on things that make the car more reliable or add performance. Spend your funds on things like changing fluids, making sure the brakes and tires are in good shape, new filters, etc

·
Registered
587 Posts
You can gut your cats, basically free aside from your time. Cat removal will make the exhaust louder but will also make it a bit more high pitched and droney. Alternatively if you live near any muffler shop fabbing up exhaust should not be too crazy expensive. Normal shops charge around 60 - 80 dollars per hour of labour and usually mark up the mufflers they sell. You can buy a fairly cheap muffler / resonator on ebay and get pieces of the exhaust fabb'd.

You can also use make yourself quite easily an aftermarket intake system, just make sure to use the stock MAF ID housing. You can buy maf housings and find the proper ID online. I dont think the 1zz has loud succ but its been so long I dont remember and I never bothered to modify the 1zz.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The MR2 is unbearably loud without a muffler, I'd never do that. Drove it for 15 minutes like that.
It’s unbearably loud in completely stock form, 4k rpm on the highway loud. I don’t understand how you guys run aftermarket exhausts at all even with a 6spd swap which is still well over 3k rpm. To each their own.

·
Registered
479 Posts
My first drive post 2zz swap was open header (PPE) with all the rear plastics still off. (I tried bolting my exhaust up, realized the flanges didn't match) Talk about loud... Was maybe a 10 minute test drive... Ears rang for at least an hour after. I pushed it up into lift twice just to be sure lift was working consistently. It was completely unbearable. Would not recommend.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yep, I agree with all the above statements about how loud it is without a muffler. Aside from how annoying it would be... the police will become your most intimate friends in short order.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for that, but I wasn't talking about making hit loud. I was thinking of a way to make it sound good, maybe with a rumble?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts