MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been awhile since I've been on the board, but I've got a issue and I'd like some fresh ideas to solve it...

I started getting a really loud rattle in the back of the MRS everytime I would take the car on a long haul. Then the rattle started when the engine gets warmed up. So one day at work I pull into a parking spot left the car running and popped the engine cover.

I found my culprit of the rattle...

The Lotus-style Che Exhaust I have is touch on of the metal (not sure what to call them) braces in the rear end. So everytime the engine vibrates or I go over a bump it rattles itself back and forth on the metal and makes the noise.

I'll try and get pictures tomorrow and post them up for people to make it easier to understand but I'm trying to figure out how to move the exhaust out so it don't rattle... without taking it to somebody and having them play around with it.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
You may be able to bend the exhaust hangers that are welded to the pipe. Usually you can tweak them a little to gain some clearance, or to straighten up a crooked hanging exhaust.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You may be able to bend the exhaust hangers that are welded to the pipe. Usually you can tweak them a little to gain some clearance, or to straighten up a crooked hanging exhaust.
This is the way I fixed mine.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Yep, you need to modify the mounts in order to gain the clearance that you need. Mine required a fair bit of altering before it fit right.

·
Banned
415 Posts
Well, if you found the culprit already, you've already done more than half the work.
Just be creative, there are many ways to fix it.

I wish I could get my a$$ up in the cold to figure out exactly where in the exhaust my rattle is coming from.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts