MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know the mileage on this transmission, something around 100k. It works fine except it jumps out of 6th gear, so probably needs to be rebuilt. I am in Northern Virginia

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm interested, pm me your best price and a shipping quote to socal zip 92626

·
Registered
563 Posts
It's light enough to send greyhound. Nearest terminal to me is Santa Ana, ca

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, looks like I'm not selling this quite yet... might try to repair it. Took off the cover and looked at the 5th-6th speed gears and syncros, didn't remove any gears, but from what I can see nothing is damaged, all the teeth are in great shape and so are the syncros. The 6th gear on the input shaft does have a small amount of play if you pull it back and forth on the shaft, maybe 1 mm or less, is it supposed to do this? Any ideas on why it would pop out of gear?

Also, this is from a '03 Vibe GT/Matrix XRS and has the shift linkage on the back (closer to cabin) side. I didn't realize there were 2 different types - I bought a replacement that came out of an '06 Lotus Elise (streetthrowback's tranny) The shift linkage is on the front side. Haven't tried putting it in my car to see if it will fit but it looks like the shift mechanism will hit the air intake. Is there a way to make this fit? It looks like it might be possible to unbolt the shift mechanism from my Matrix trans and remove the shift selector shaft and swap it onto the Lotus trans, and plug up the hole in the back... but then my old trans will need that piece replaced before it can be used for anything. Or, maybe the Lotus trans will actually fit as is. Any ideas?

·
Registered
322 Posts
i just want the bits off the outside of a Spyder box. they are not the same as the corolla bits nor celica. not sure about lotus

·
Registered
998 Posts
6th gear would be the easiest to fix. The no. 3 clutch hub sits between 5th and the 6th gear (on input shaft) and it has 3 shifting keys that hold the shifting sleeves in place. I think either the shifting keys or the shifting sleeve is worn out so replacing those may fix your pop out problem. Not a bad idea to replace 6th synchro while you're there - it's only $24 bucks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool, thanks! I don't have the gear pullers or press to dismantle and reassemble the thing myself... don't really want to buy all the stuff to do that. Anyone in northern VA area who has the tools to do this that could help? Or who I could pay to do it?

·
Registered
563 Posts
To use the lotus trans is just like using a Celica trans. Swap over the shift linkage and use a freeze plug to cover the extra hole. There are a few write ups on here to show how.

As for the 6th gear pop out usually it's a combination of things: hub/slider, baulk rings, and fork wear. The three little detents on the hub will not cause a pop out issue unless there are some wear issues on the other components.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I am learning a lot about transmissions. Factory repair manual and some tools goes a long way.

Anyway, I have the trans all taken apart, it looks like the only thing wrong is the plastic inserts on gear shift fork no.3 are worn off on the 6th gear side. Maybe transmission hub sleeve #3 also but it looks ok. I swapped the shift select lever and bell crank over to the lotus trans and will be putting that one back in my car.

So... Is anyone interested in the original (disassembled) transmission or parts? It has about 70k miles on it. I can put it back together with new parts or leave it as-is. All the gears look very good. It would need the shift select lever and cover to use with MR2/Matrix/Camry but I have the shift selector shaft / bellcrank assembly from the lotus/celica, but it would need a hole put in the case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would be interested in buying your 6th geat set from your toyota C60...

Well, I am learning a lot about transmissions. Factory repair manual and some tools goes a long way.

Anyway, I have the trans all taken apart, it looks like the only thing wrong is the plastic inserts on gear shift fork no.3 are worn off on the 6th gear side. Maybe transmission hub sleeve #3 also but it looks ok. I swapped the shift select lever and bell crank over to the lotus trans and will be putting that one back in my car.

So... Is anyone interested in the original (disassembled) transmission or parts? It has about 70k miles on it. I can put it back together with new parts or leave it as-is. All the gears look very good. It would need the shift select lever and cover to use with MR2/Matrix/Camry but I have the shift selector shaft / bellcrank assembly from the lotus/celica, but it would need a hole put in the case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still have this transmission - it is partially disassembled, needs new #3 selector fork, possibly 6th gear assembly and gear selector hub also. It is missing the cover for the selector shaft, and the selector shaft assembly. All the other gears are great except for 6th, if you are looking for spare parts or would like to rebuild it. No grinding issue in 3rd gear that you commonly see

I do have the selector shaft assembly and cover from a Lotus transmission also.

400$ would take everything, 540 392 2530

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
If some also wants one of these.
sorry to thread hi jack . ill revive my own thread here in a second.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts