MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I want to remove the fake carbon fiber stick-on interior trim in my spyder. I'm wondering what's the best way to do that without damaging the interior. It feels like it's pretty well glued on, but I'm sure some of you have done this removal before. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Probably a hair dryer to soften up the glue or tape (assuming there's some there), remove the pieces, then a mild solvent that won't damage the plastics after the parts are removed to clean up the residue.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Hi everyone! I want to remove the fake carbon fiber stick-on interior trim in my spyder. I'm wondering what's the best way to do that without damaging the interior. It feels like it's pretty well glued on, but I'm sure some of you have done this removal before. Any advice would be appreciated.
I used a small knife to cut the grey adhesive, little by little. It took hours!
I had no intention of keeping the overlay, so I broke it off as I freed it.
Once the overlay is gone, much of the remaninig adhesive can be rubbed off with your fingers. I got blisters.
For final clean-up, I used Goo-Gone and some spray cleaner containing orange oil.

btw
I removed the gauge cluster bezzel (grab & pull) and A/C surround for better access.

Related Articles:
http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?44017-Removal-of-dash-CF-stuff

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?36569-Removing-Carbon-Accents

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?26286-Carbon-Fiber-Dash-Kit

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showth...-remove-quot-carbon-fibre-quot-trim-from-dash

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?16945-Removing-Carbon-Fibbber-Dash-thing

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?3553-Carbon-fiber-dash-removal-or-cover-up

·
Registered
522 Posts
I used string to "saw" behind the plastic/cf pieces and gently pried them off after the car sat oustide on an 80 degree day while I was at work. Then I used the finger-rub method as well as Goof Off to remove the adhesive left behind as best I could. The results haven't been perfect, but I was liking that trim less every time I looked at it.
Be careful with the adhesive remover as it may mar the plastic, as happened to another member here.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I used string to "saw" behind the plastic/cf pieces and gently pried them off after the car sat oustide on an 80 degree day while I was at work. Then I used the finger-rub method as well as Goof Off to remove the adhesive left behind as best I could. The results haven't been perfect, but I was liking that trim less every time I looked at it.
Be careful with the adhesive remover as it may mar the plastic, as happened to another member here.
Yeah that was me... It really sucks. Just be careful with how much goof off you use and make sure you wipe it off immediately

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
That's where the cleaner containing orange oil comes in.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hair dryer, googone, and fingernails. Unfortunately I have had to do this in my mk2 mr2 and my spyder's interior. I really hate it. My fingers were sore for days:angry:

·
Registered
492 Posts
So I just read through all old man's linked threads and didn't see one picture of how it looks after removal...does anyone have pics of it? I kind of think the CF looks cheap and dare I say "ricer". Maybe mine is really faded or something, it's got kind of a greenish-yellow tint to it. Thanks.

·
Registered
471 Posts
So I just read through all old man's linked threads and didn't see one picture of how it looks after removal...does anyone have pics of it? I kind of think the CF looks cheap and dare I say "ricer". Maybe mine is really faded or something, it's got kind of a greenish-yellow tint to it. Thanks.
Yeah mine looked like that. Umm I'll see if I can get some pics in the morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
For the most part, it looks fine. Just as Toyota intended.
The only remaining signs of the CF perversion are on my gauge cluster bezzel. Unlike the other locations, the bezzel applique was attached with stripes of adhesive rather than a uniform coating. Ghosts of these stripes are still present and cannot be removed. They appear as a change in the albedo of the surface and aren't all that noticable.

·
Banned
415 Posts
Be careful when using anything metal to take it off (such as a knife).
I damaged my HVAC plastic cover............
Why would anyone want to installs those fake cf trim anyways? If it's well executed, yes.
But there are plastic edges sticking out everywhere.
So stupid.

·
Registered
781 Posts
If you are having problems you could always just find a car being parted out that doesn't have fake CF and swap out the parts with yours - pricey, but you will know how it will look.

I remember when I bought my MR2 I asked the dealer what options there were. He gave me a color copy of a TRD Stage 1-3 body kit advertisement and told me that was it. Then he mentioned the CF, but warned me that if I was keeping the car for awhile this might eventually come off and look like @ss. I wasn't willing to pay for stickers when I liked the look of the original cabin.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I didn't care for the look of the material, but what really bothered me was the way it separated from the dash at the edges. Looking in through the windshield, the laminate on the instrument pod and also right below the center cubby looked like flags waving in the wind.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I parked my car in the sun on a warm day. I pried some of it off with my fingers, and used fishing line to 'saw' through the adhesive on the rest. I also wasn't worried about keeping them and when prying some of the CF broke, but it was yellowed and looked like crap anyway. Then I did the finger rub to get most of the adhesive off. I then put some goof-off on a rag and held it on the adhesive for a bit and rubbed some more. After I got it all off, I cleaned the whole dash with some 303 protectant.

As for what it looks like without it on there, it looks like a normal dash. The small icons for the closed vent and open vent are underneath the cf trim.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks!
UPDATE:
Thanks for all the info guys. Finally found time to remove the fake CF trim. It took longer than expected. I used a heat gun and a lot of fingernail muscle to pull them off. The dash bezel and ashtray trim were definitely the hardest ones to take off. Everything else peeled off with no fight. The goo-gone helped a lot in removing the left-over adhevise, but it still took time to rub all of them off. It was well worth it though, as the dash looks so much better. Thanks again for all the helpful tips!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts