MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
@DeuceFatty the foamboard has resisted someone walking into it. The whole thing is ok at >170 km/h over véryVERY strong sidewinds on megahigh viaducts. Did higher speeds in calmer weather but the storm was quite a litmuss test.

@Shaunsgarage roof hight not Leepu - Dodge Daytona hight ;-)

WARNING: nude woman; not for work/home in more puritan countries

https://thumbs-eu-west-1.myalbum.io/photo/1k0/687d3e33-8b70-4320-b70a-63e1a1628632.jpg

Btw. Íf I would own a Dodge Challenger I´d have a Daytona wing for sure. No way I will ever own such a lardy though nor something with that much powah; simply a bad idea; don´t have the common sense needed for that; refused a Yaris GR for that reason when the GF wanted to buy me one. Chose a Nimbus with sidecar instead.

p.s. that Nimbus is a perfect example of aero working at very moderate speeds. The charming company refuses to come along t¡in the chair without the smallish windshield even on trips with average speed under 40 km/h.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This was my setup. Homemade splitter on the front, carbon fiber canards on the front corners, and an APR GTC200 carbon fiber adjustable wing. Sorry to be so bold, but all the naysayers can stuff it. Those 3 mods made a huge difference in stability and handling. It also was lowered on Tein springs (Koni adjustable were going to be installed, but had to get rid of the car), Whiteline adjustable swaybars. The suspension mods were done first, then the aero mods. So I know the actual difference they made. It was quite significant. I do suggest the rear wing needs to be adjustable for angle, so you can dial it in. The APR wing I had was very adjustable. The third picture shows an example of what I mean.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Automotive parking light

Furniture Shade Outdoor furniture Automotive exterior Tints and shades

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
This was my setup. Homemade splitter on the front, carbon fiber canards on the front corners, and an APR GTC200 carbon fiber adjustable wing. Sorry to be so bold, but all the naysayers can stuff it. Those 3 mods made a huge difference in stability and handling. It also was lowered on Tein springs (Koni adjustable were going to be installed, but had to get rid of the car), Whiteline adjustable swaybars. The suspension mods were done first, then the aero mods. So I know the actual difference they made. It was quite significant. I do suggest the rear wing needs to be adjustable for angle, so you can dial it in. The APR wing I had was very adjustable. The third picture shows an example of what I mean. View attachment 93482
View attachment 93481
View attachment 93484
That's interesting. Did you notice the difference on track or ordinary use?

·
Registered
969 Posts
. Those 3 mods made a huge difference in stability and handling.....The suspension mods were done first, then the aero mods. So I know the actual difference they made. It was quite significant. I do suggest the rear wing needs to be adjustable for angle, so you can dial it in.

Thanks for sharing the first hand experience.

I find it beyond surprising that this is such a ... controversial subject in MR2 circles.
On the one hand it is obvious that a bit of weight shift forwards/backwards changes the balance. On the other the effect of aero, which easily shifts way more at legal speeds, is denied.

Ah well, tant pis :cool:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi,

I'm interesting in purchasing this wing for my car but it's a knockoff Chinese brand. Could a bad wing potentially provide lift instead of downforce or harm my cars handling or safety?

Thanks
Politely, I think bolting on cheep parts is a bad idea, I avoid cars (and owners) like this when shopping. Some might think it looks cool but those in the know just see cheesy parts and misplaced priorities - and that is NOT cool. Fashion NEVER should come before function when it comes to automobile investments. I may be an old 'less is more' kind of guy, but I would save my money for something meaningful and functional. The best mod??? DEEP cleaning and detail sorting. I sincerely hope not to offend, just a different point of view in a supportive community. Cheers.

·
Registered
648 Posts
There are differents types of peoples into cars :
  • the engineer that like his car from factory
  • the designer brain that tries/mix differents products
  • the guy who want to increase his driving experience (extrem tuning)
  • the curious that try differents product to make his own experience
  • the guy who only copy others
  • the guy with alot of money
  • the guy who want to improve his car to make it perfect
  • the guy who buy a car and know nothing about it
  • the guy who only want other attention's
  • the guy who love to practice/feel a theory
Each person has his own priority in life/car culture.
Nothing wrong with that. That's what it make today's world.

·
Registered
82 Posts
There are differents types of peoples into cars :
Each person has his own priority in life/car culture.
Nothing wrong with that. That's what it make today's world.
Agreed! So we can each have the ‘perfect car’ though they all be different. Viva la difference!

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
2,143 Posts
Why can't I be ALL of the above? I do have multiple cars. Each serves its purpose.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
2,143 Posts
All EXCEPT the guy trying to copy others. Hahaha
I literally have been ordering bolt on parts for my Audi based on YouTube videos telling me what makes the most power on the Dyno. I'm copying their builds step by step. It's nice not to have to think or bust out the angle grinder. Sometimes the well worn path has the least surprises.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What size is one of the wings and what angle is it set at? I might pull out an old text book and estimate the down force. Key word being estimate. Key variables being the airfoil and amount of turbulance the wing sees which would be hard to measure.

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
2,143 Posts
What size is one of the wings and what angle is it set at? I might pull out an old text book and estimate the down force. Key word being estimate. Key variables being the airfoil and amount of turbulance the wing sees which would be hard to measure.
Since flow detaches even with the hardtop your estimate would be tough. A high wing we would HOPE is back in the airstream again but we wouldn't know. It would be a really interesting experiment to put some load cells under the mounting points and log the downforce.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The best mod??? DEEP cleaning and detail sorting.
Each his own of course! but neither deep clean nor detailing makes the car gó any better. Mine could do with panel work on several dings & scratches, a complete respray and I don´t have the replacement front bumper skirt painted at all. That does not make it gó any better though so I just keep it clean.
I like the ´sabi´ bit of the ´wabi sabi´. As long as the visible wear and tear does not constitute a functional defect, it is honourable proof of a useful life.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Sometimes the well worn path has the least surprises.
I´d say móst times even. It also means that even though the Spyder is now so long out production that it is on the way to becoming a classic that I stíll come up to things nobody has done/tried/figured out (or not admitted on the www) because they seem to be ´not done´ or too far off the beaten path :rolleyes:

·
Registered
969 Posts
It would be a really interesting experiment to put some load cells under the mounting points and log the downforce.
As my wing is somewaht flexible I have used this flex to indirectly measure the downforce. Register the distance(s) of the sidplate to the rear panel and neasure the veritcal downward force for that. Then extrapolate for the total force on the wing. This gives a good ball àrl approximation. At least for mé good enough 😁
Even if only 30 kg, at 100 km/h that is 5% for 600 kg. on the rear axle. 5% extra traction at nó cost in centrifugal force or other. Tis but a detail for half gods behind the steering wheel but I will take my hat off to it.
(mine has more on the wing and is lighter on the rear axle so what do I care if some think it ugly or others think is not expensive enough)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts