MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fits right between a Mini Cooper and Mini Cooper S. Should be an interesting option, thoughts?

·
Registered
860 Posts
J-Lo killed this car with those lame commercials.. imo. The Abarth looks interesting but starting at 22,700 and sketchy reliability? Sheet..

·
Registered
754 Posts
Not for me and certainly not at that price.

$22,700 and remember they are brought to the US by Chrysler. A car known for past reliability problems brought to the US by a car company with serious financial as well as quality problems.
Spend another $2k and get a much better car.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Reliability problems from 30 years ago.....

Whats funnier is that Fiat is trying to sell rebadged Chryslers as Lancia's over here...oh yeah, that will work..:lol:

·
Registered
754 Posts
I was referring to their history and Chryslers present condition. Top Gear says they are a great car. The mid $20k market is a bit crowded to try and price it in there.

The only thing negative I've heard about the present day Fiat 500's is the large price increase they have for a convertible model that really isn't much of a convertible.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Considering the competition is Mini, which is pretty hit or miss with reliability itself, I don't know if I would dismiss the Fiat that quickly. For the US market they are built in a Chrysler plant in Mexico, alongside the Dodge Journey which seems to have decent quality ratings at least.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
FIAT left the U.S. market about 30 years ago. I don't know exactly why, but I suspect the quality of their product had something to do with it. Time has passed....Buyers have forgotten. Now they're back. We'll see how it goes. I won't be one of their customers, however.
Part of it, they never had a great dealer network, and their reliability didn't keep pace with the Japanese product. Also they couldn't justify federal crash testing costs based on their sales volume.

Their '60s and early '70s stuff was big fun.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Most manufacturers stepped up their build quality these days. Look at ford, kia, hyundai. All of them had horrible pasts but they now have some of the best cars on the market. I wouldn't use a company's past performance in the 70s and 80s to determine build quality for todays technology. Completely different era.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Most manufacturers stepped up their build quality these days. Look at ford, kia, hyundai. All of them had horrible pasts but they now have some of the best cars on the market. I wouldn't use a company's past performance in the 70s and 80s to determine build quality for todays technology. Completely different era.
Your correct, but I don't have 20 grand to test out that theory. I owned a Catera, er, Craptera for 5 loooooong painful years!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I know nothing about the Fiat 500. Now that we have that out of the way let me say that if you look back at Chrysler and automotive history, you will see that they have led the way in innovation. Most of the creature comforts that we enjoy on our cars were invented by Chrysler. A lot of them were improved on by other companies like GM & Ford, but the original idea was not theirs. Chrysler is also one of the few companies who has shown a willingness to go out on a limb with a new design. Need an example? How about the minivan, invented by Chrysler, copied by everyone else. How about Dodge trucks? Totally redesigned in the mid 90's into a truck that no one had ever seen before. In a couple of years (after Chrysler took the initial risk) every truck on the road looked like them. How about the Durango? After a couple of years I couldn't tell the difference between a Durango and a Chevy Tahoe when one passed me on the highway. How about the retro PT Cruiser? Chevy had to make the HHR, it's nothing but a copy cat. Let someone else take the risk, and if it sells we'll copy it. How about the newer Dodge Charger? Cops everywhere are driving them. This list could go on for a long time.

Chrysler is an old company with a long heritage of making fine automobiles. They have had their share of problems, no doubt about that. The worst thing that has ever happened to Chrysler was Daimler. Daimler hated Chrysler, and made sure that they used inferior parts and quality build so that they would not compete with their cars. This was done partly because Chrysler built a car that blew the doors off of their SLR and was therefore never allowed to go into production.

I have owned many Chrysler automobiles in my lifetime and they are as good as what anyone else makes when they are allowed to do it their way.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Absolutely, but they'll still need to do a better job with a dealer network than they did back then.

I'd live to have either a 1969-70 Fiat 124 coupe or spyder in good condition. They were really fun cars.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The Abarth looks like a lot of fun. I saw in one this past weekend and thought the interior was pretty nice. I'd be more comfortable buying a 500 than a Mini.

As for Chrysler, ever since Fiat took over, they've been making some really nice cars. I feel like their last 2 owners (Daimler and Cerberus) focused too much on cutting costs and design and quality suffered as a result.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
IIRC 72 is when ugly bumper syndrome took hold
I thought all the British and Italian stuff got the big bumpers, raised bumper height and smog pumps in 1974. I'm almost sure, because my '74 MG Midget was the first year (I believe) that had them.

? ? ?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts