MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 4 hours of sanding with 60 grit paper, and only being half done with my the front bumper, I'm looking for a quicker route to take, any recommendations?

This was also after heat gun + paint scrapper method to get large chunks of the paint off.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Soda blasting works really well, but you'd have to take it somewhere. The equipment is expensive to do a single bumper, although I've seen people use little Harbor Freight sandblasters with decent results.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Soda blasting works really well, but you'd have to take it somewhere. The equipment is expensive to do a single bumper, although I've seen people use little Harbor Freight sandblasters with decent results.
Going to have to look into renting the equipment, def can't take it anywhere because the engines bad.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I've seen aircraft paint stripper used for other applications (wheels) and it's a simple apply, wait, and rinse off; but I don't know if this would be safe on plastic.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I've seen aircraft paint stripper used for other applications (wheels) and it's a simple apply, wait, and rinse off; but I don't know if this would be safe on plastic.
I've see the aftermath of on fiberglass - not pretty. It eats the paint AND the gel coat.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Going to have to look into renting the equipment, def can't take it anywhere because the engines bad.
There's actually guys that come around with soda blasters on trailers. It's common on old Corvettes, and that's where my experience comes from with it.

As far as chemical stripping, a lot of Corvette folks use Captain Lee's. Or look at boat supply places, just find something that specifically states it's safe with fiberglass. A lot of aircraft stuff is intended for aluminum skinned planes, but some of the aircraft stuff is fiberglass safe too. Just read the data sheet and it should tell you what it's intended for.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Orbital sander will do it quick. Why are you removing it down to the plastic?
I was using the square sander before, first time doing body work so I had no clue. My Dad gave me some of his tools the day before which included a orbital. Orbital seems to be working like a charm. Still considering paint stripper for the other pieces of the kit though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.