MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2003 in Solar Yellow with SMT and 93,800 miles in mid July and couldn’t be happier. I’m always looking for an excuse to go for a drive. I’d also like to get together with other Spyder owners in Northern California. Glad to be a forum member. This is an invaluable resource.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Welcome! Glad another has achieved permagrin. Gain as much knowledge as you can about the SMT... There will come a day you will need to fix it, or convert to manual. Many of the parts and the hydraulic fluid for it are difficult to source. Tons of good info here and other online sources.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Jimmy: I suggest that you pay very little to no attention to the SMT Spyderchat Doomsday Prophets on this site. I have a 2003 SMT Spyder and absolutely love it. I have driven the manual Spyder and it does not compare to the joy of driving the SMT. In ten years of driving the SMT I have had zero problems with it. It is my guess that the majority of people trying to find fault with the SMT do so because they are somewhat jealous that they do not have this wonderful six speed transmission in their Spyder.

I posted the following on another post but since you are new to this site you may be interested in it, here it is: The extra gear of the SMT was much needed plus the taller rear tires (I have 185-60/15 on the front and 215-60-15 rear tires on my Spyder) gives a 6.5% decrease in RPM as well. At 70 MPH in 6th gear and with the rear tires I have the RPM is 595 less than with the five speed manual Spyder with stock tires. In my humble opinion 595 less RPM at cruising speeds makes a huge difference in the enjoyment of driving the Spyder. Not only that but these Michelin Tires I have gives a much less noisy and more comfortable ride to this go-cart of a car. The 800 tread wear of these tires means that they should last a very long time compared to the 140 tread wear of the tires that originally came on the Spyder.

It is my guess that you will thoroughly enjoy your 2003 SMT MR2 Spyder. Yellow is a beautiful color on the Spyder as well! Welcome to the sometimes not too polite Spyder Chat Forum.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Jimmy: I suggest that you pay very little to no attention to the SMT Spyderchat Doomsday Prophets on this site. I have a 2003 SMT Spyder and absolutely love it. I have driven the manual Spyder and it does not compare to the joy of driving the SMT. In ten years of driving the SMT I have had zero problems with it. It is my guess that the majority of people trying to find fault with the SMT do so because they are somewhat jealous that they do not have this wonderful six speed transmission in their Spyder.

I posted the following on another post but since you are new to this site you may be interested in it, here it is: The extra gear of the SMT was much needed plus the taller rear tires (I have 185-60/15 on the front and 215-60-15 rear tires on my Spyder) gives a 6.5% decrease in RPM as well. At 70 MPH in 6th gear and with the rear tires I have the RPM is 595 less than with the five speed manual Spyder with stock tires. In my humble opinion 595 less RPM at cruising speeds makes a huge difference in the enjoyment of driving the Spyder. Not only that but these Michelin Tires I have gives a much less noisy and more comfortable ride to this go-cart of a car. The 800 tread wear of these tires means that they should last a very long time compared to the 140 tread wear of the tires that originally came on the Spyder.

It is my guess that you will thoroughly enjoy your 2003 SMT MR2 Spyder. Yellow is a beautiful color on the Spyder as well! Welcome to the sometimes not too polite Spyder Chat Forum.
I'm not an smt hater but I do have 4 broke ones in the shed ....

Also I wouldn't advise 60 series tires ....

·
Registered
120 Posts
It is my guess that you have never, ever, used 60 series tires on your Spyder. If you try them then you more than likely would love everything about them. Sometimes it may be difficult to judge things you have never actually used! Were those SMT Spyders wrecked when you purchased them?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I've used 55 series that came on the car but couldn't wait to get rid of them . So I can say for sure I won't buy or like 60 series tires . I would agree that they would ride smooth but handle badly ...

The spyders weren't wrecked just won't shift and one is missing 2nd gear . But I have bought some wrecked ones to fix the broken ones .... hopefully

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome, all. I know parts and expertise are hard to find; but I’ve already found two mechanics within a few miles, one of whom has actually spent time working on and fixing SMT’s. The other is someone I’ve trusted with all my other cars and is always ready to learn more about an interesting car. I’ll have to post about these two on the appropriate thread so others can find them when needed.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, all. I know parts and expertise are hard to find; but I’ve already found two mechanics within a few miles, one of whom has actually spent time working on and fixing SMT’s. The other is someone I’ve trusted with all my other cars and is always ready to learn more about an interesting car. I’ll have to post about these two on the appropriate thread so others can find them when needed.
Well hopefully you won't need either one of them .....

·
Registered
69 Posts
if it's a 6 speed, a manual conversion may be a worthwile endeavor.

The HPU and GSA and all the switches and sensors should be inspected for condition.

I had a really bad run-in with an 04 6-smt before i got my 5-mt yellow 03. it refused to shift at all after a mile of driving from the dealer lot. probably something to do with heat of the afternoon, the electrical system, and probably the HPU (high pressure unit: kinda pricey part to replace). it had about 91k miles on it when i bought it, had the issue, and towed it back to the dealer with an angry note.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well, I thought it was really strange if you had a SMT, had problems with it and then went out and bought three more just like it. That would indicate that you really loved the SMT Spyders. In case you did not know the Spyders came stock with 55 series front tires that you appear to dislike so very much.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
SMT! SMT! SMT!
I love the SMT! I think it adds a whole other dimension to the car. Granted, there is a lot to learn about them, all part of the fun. And in my estimation, they are pretty much trouble free as long as you change the fluid regularly. You will likely be needing a clutch between 100-150k since she likes to slip the clutch a bit. That was corrected nicely with a lightweight flywheel and a 2zz pressure plate/ clutch cover. It shifts awesome with those mods. Too bad Toyota doesn’t still make the TRD clutch assemblies anymore.
And welcome to SC!

·
Registered
439 Posts
In case you did not know the Spyders came stock with 55 series front tires that you appear to dislike so very much.
Yes they did... 185/55's... And since profile (or aspect ratio) is a percentage of section width, that means the profile of a 185/55=101.75mm, 205/50=102.5mm (note the smaller profile number resulting in a larger profile 😮) this is about as close as a matching diameter staggered setup can get, once doubled, the difference is 1.5mm.
Whereas a 185/60=111mm and 215/60=129mm, once doubled, gives a 36mm (over 1.4in) difference in diameter between your front and back wheels. 195/65=126.75mm would match 215/60 much better.

No offense meant here... Just trying to share some knowledge. We all do what we want to our cars and if larger profile tires that last forever and lower cruising RPMs makes you happy, then by all means enjoy! I have actually done the same to my other car, larger tires to soften the ride and make up for excessive speedo error from changing transmission gearing. My only concern with this is your safety if someday you may need to make an emergency manoeuvre and the taller, softer sidewalls do not comply with your needs.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
... In ten years of driving the SMT I have had zero problems with it...

... It is my guess that the majority of people trying to find fault with the SMT do so because they are somewhat jealous that they do not have this wonderful six speed transmission in their Spyder...
The real problem with the SMT is that no one knows how to fix it. The system is extremely complex, and it is a one-off. No other car was built with it, as far as I know. The dealership mechanics know nothing about it, and all they will offer to do is replace it and see what happens. If you know how to fix it, then good for you. If not, see below.

The majority of people finding fault with the SMT have actual SMTs that have broken down, and will probably never run again. The factory diagnostics are of limited use unless you have a detailed knowledge of how the controller works, and I don't think that Toyota ever released that information. One way out is the conversion to manual. That is what I have: A 6 speed SMT that got a second life as a 6 speed manual.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Congratulations on a new spyder! Change the SMT fluid. Nobody ever does, so it’s likely 17 years old by now. It’s cheap preventive maintenance. If you’re on facebook, jump on MR2 Spyder SMT group. Lots of support there. And info on some reasonably priced SMT fluid. :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have zero knowledge of the SMT other than what I've read here... but hey, drive it like you stole it and enjoy.

As for 60 series tires, I think those would feel like big bouncy balloons... I'm all about 40 series on 17 inch rims these days.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes they did... 185/55's... And since profile (or aspect ratio) is a percentage of section width, that means the profile of a 185/55=101.75mm, 205/50=102.5mm (note the smaller profile number resulting in a larger profile 😮) this is about as close as a matching diameter staggered setup can get, once doubled, the difference is 1.5mm.
Whereas a 185/60=111mm and 215/60=129mm, once doubled, gives a 36mm (over 1.4in) difference in diameter between your front and back wheels. 195/65=126.75mm would match 215/60 much better.

No offense meant here... Just trying to share some knowledge. We all do what we want to our cars and if larger profile tires that last forever and lower cruising RPMs makes you happy, then by all means enjoy! I have actually done the same to my other car, larger tires to soften the ride and make up for excessive speedo error from changing transmission gearing. My only concern with this is your safety if someday you may need to make an emergency manoeuvre and the taller, softer sidewalls do not comply with your needs.
I am merely sharing what size tires I am using (185/60-15 front and 215/60-15 rear) on my 2003 SMT MR2 Spyder. I am in no way asking for approval from anyone for my decision to use these larger diameter tires because I am more than happy with my selection of tires. I have found that the stock tires that originally came on my Spyder are somewhat difficult to find. It is my guess that I am the only Spyder owner that uses the size tires I use. I am well pleased with the performance of these tires, the very, very, long life of these tire, the much needed smoothness and resulting comfort these tires give as well as the 6.5% reduced RPM that I get with these tire. I see absolutely all positives and no negatives at all with these tires on my MR2 Spyder. These tires fill most of the wheel well space, more so on the back, and I think this helps the overall looks of the car as well. I could say more of a manly look and less of a girly look but I will not go there. Another plus of using these tires is that they are the same width as the tires that came stock on the Spyder, and yes I bought chrome 15" OEM wheels soon after purchasing the car over ten years ago. I think 225/60-15 tires on the back would fit as well but the extra width of these tires would more than likely lower the gas mileage because of the slight added friction. When the front tires finally wear out I may put 195/60-15 on but will not put 195/65-15 on because that would be 8.6% taller than the stock tires and it is my guess that they would rub the fender or inner part of the wheel well.

Everyone must understand that some have different wants, needs and desires. What makes one person happy may make others terribly unhappy!

"If a man loses pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured, or far away. "

Henry David Thoreau

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a 2003 in Solar Yellow with SMT and 93,800 miles in mid July and couldn’t be happier. I’m always looking for an excuse to go for a drive. I’d also like to get together with other Spyder owners in Northern California. Glad to be a forum member. This is an invaluable resource.
Welcome I have had my 2004 Yellow SMT for 8 years with no problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts

Mars: One can shuffle and play around with numbers until the cows come home, so to speak. But, what really matters in the end, when the rubber actually meets the road, is what works and feels the very best. I cannot imagine anything working better on the more than beloved Spyder than the tire size combination that I am presently using. I compare my well honed, harmonized and seriously thought out spyder tire fitment recipe to a master chef that just happened to develop a savory concoction of tasteful and delicious ingredients that just happened to fit the never ending appetite of the most discerning food lovers. In other words, it is my strong and unwavering conviction, with no doubt whatsoever, that the tire combination that I have dreamed/conjured up are the very tires that the Toyota Motor Company should have issued on the MR2 Spyder from the very beginning.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
enjoy it I got my yellow 2003 Spyder 3 years ago and I have a ball every time I'm driving it. so many people love the color yellow

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
13 Participants
JimmyC
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing