MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought my 2003 SMT last year with 146 kmiles. It is now 163 kmiles. The SMT was never change, and was at minimum level. I just drain it with hand syphon, and fill it with Valvoline Synthetic DOT 3-4.

The biggest repair so far is replacing the two Reverse Sensor switches. Anyone with right tools and patient should be able to perform this DIY.

I love driving the Spyder more than my BMW M5 V10!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks, Nico. Good to hear. M5 V10! Very different car. :) And I can see why you would prefer the Spyder. My previous favorite car that I owned was a 1970 BMW 2002. I have always regretted selling it, tho it turned out to be what we needed for the down payment on our first house. Now I ask myself: if the 2002 and the Spyder were both sitting in my garage, which would I drive. The Spyder.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your car and the knowledge on this forum.

It is a forum with random online personalities. Don’t take anything too personal. Have fun with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congratulations on a new spyder! Change the SMT fluid. Nobody ever does, so it’s likely 17 years old by now. It’s cheap preventive maintenance. If you’re on facebook, jump on MR2 Spyder SMT group. Lots of support there. And info on some reasonably priced SMT fluid. :)
Castro got it name back in the 40s when they added castor oil to their oil.
Anyway, you can save about $140.00 and make your own SMT fluid by mixing castor oil with DOT3 brake fluid. I've been running my 03 SMT with this for about three years now without any problems. I think it was 10 % castor oil to brake fluid. Can't remember. I'll get back to you about that if you message me. And there is a switch under the shift lever that will give you fits if it is worn. It's real easy to get to by removing the console cover. It has copper contacts in it that get oxidized and the grease in there gets gunky. I removed mine and took it apart. Cleaned out the old grease and cleaned up the copper contacts, put new dielectric grease in it and put it back in. No more problems. It most likely goes bad on a hot day. Leaves you sitting in traffic not being able to shift gears. Can be miss diagnosed for GSA problems. Hope this helps.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts