MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,my name is Jeff,just got my Spyder yesterday after loving them since the debut so long ago. Its a maroon repainted 2000,with TRD body kit, that started life as silver.Mods are TRD blue bars front/rear with TRD coilovers,AEM CAI,and an incredibly loud header exhaust of some type.I dont know much about these cars so I am here to learn.I come from the Volvo community forum c30 where i am a very active member still owning my modded c30.I've been to the dragon at Deals many times and REALLY look forward to taking the Spyder there next April.Was at Tougefest just last weekend where there were two Spyders present.Mine wasnt bought for nor will it be for daily driving,at the age of 50 I cant standup to the hard ride on a daily basis but will be driving it at least once a week.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They may not be TRD coilovers, I honestly haven't had a chance to look. I do know it rides very hard feeling like other cars I've been in with aftermarket suspension. I ordered the upper cross brace last night. I don't know why it wasn't put back in.Concerning the exhaust I.D. If it helps,the four go into two vthen into one going into one "coffee can" then into another one splitting into two again existing in the center rear of the car.
IMG_20191108_075521559.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just went out and got this pic. Looks like TRD springs on original struts.
IMG_20191109_084536676.jpg

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are very much sought after springs and struts, so congrats!
Original struts are much sought after, or the combo of this spring with them, is actually sought after? I'm just learning this stuff but that seems odd to me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's an eBay muffler and header fwiw.
TRD Sportivo springs are sought after, pretty rare mod.
Ok, thanks. I was thinking it was an eBay special because it's unbranded and doesn't look to be very quality. Any suggestion on how to keep a good sound but a little quieter?The car also has blue TRD Sportivo anti-sway bars front & rear.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum. Good looking car man. So there’s a lot of information on Mr 2 here. I’d start with the New Owners section it has some serious info you need to read. Keep the oil level full, the dipsticks on these cars are hard to read and there’s things you can do to help see the
stick better. I wouldn’t do anything to the car until you make sure everything mechanical is in line. Keep us posted and enjoy your car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Congrats and welcome to the forum. Good looking car man. So there’s a lot of information on Mr 2 here. I’d start with the New Owners section it has some serious info you need to read. Keep the oil level full, the dipsticks on these cars are hard to read and there’s things you can do to help see the
stick better. I wouldn’t do anything to the car until you make sure everything mechanical is in line. Keep us posted and enjoy your car.
Thanks a lot. I have no plans to do any modding for a long time, if ever. For now just concentrating on protecting what's already there and installing some things that aren't.Today I inspected the storage compartment behind the seats finding no jack or liner on the passenger side.I'll be having a ceramic coating put on soon too. It's my "once a week" car and for driving over to the dragon a couple times a year or so. I do want to read thru searching for tire info to see how wide I can go in the front. The Nankook that's on it now aren't wide enough IMO. First thing to do is find out the wheel width then go from there. I'll be changing rear tires at the same time but satisfied with the size that's already on. Can anyone tell me about the seats? They aren't regular Spyder items from what I've seen. The original belt tensioners are still in the storage area behind the seats but don't connect to the belts on the seats as they are bolted to the floor. This would indicate that it had regular seats but they were replaced. The current ones aren't rigid, they will adjust on the rails and the back section leans forward for compartment access.

·
Registered
144 Posts
looks like the generic ITR-ish looking reclineables. I'd suggest something higher quality or returning to OEM seats as well as using the 3 point oem seat belt.
i have a vote of confidence towards a fujitsubo power getter catback and an oem manifold with the precats punched out (DIY it before installing).

i think you might want to consider a set of matching 16 inch wheels (6 to 8 inches wide, run staggered tire width) and tracking down an oem spare or a 5th identical 16 inch wheel and front plastics. the mismatched spare along with those tiny little wheels is a tad off-putting (just personal taste speaking here)

the car itself is quite tasteful in all other aspects.

and congratulations on the purchase.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
fujitsubo power getter catback and an oem manifold with the precats punched out (DIY it before installing).

i think you might want to consider a set of matching 16 inch wheels (6 to 8 inches wide, run staggered tire width) and tracking down an oem spare or a 5th identical 16 inch wheel and front plastics. the mismatched spare along with those tiny little wheels is a tad off-putting (just personal taste speaking here)
And congratulations on the purchase.
There's no cat there now but I have thought about going back to an original manifold having read about punching out the pre-cats.

What size Summer tire do you recommend on a 16 x 8 wheel without rubbing on sharp turns? It has 15" on it now so they may be coming off in the near future.

Thank you for the compliment. I looked at A LOT of Spyders over the last year. Finally decided that NOW is the time to buy. My step-son found this one online. When I opened the link seeing it all I could think is "This is THE ONE". So far everyone that's seen it has said " Wow" or some variety of that..

·
Registered
144 Posts
There's no cat there now but I have thought about going back to an original manifold having read about punching out the pre-cats.

What size Summer tire do you recommend on a 16 x 8 wheel without rubbing on sharp turns? It has 15" on it now so they may be coming off in the near future.

Thank you for the compliment. I looked at A LOT of Spyders over the last year. Finally decided that NOW is the time to buy. My step-son found this one online. When I opened the link seeing it all I could think is "This is THE ONE". So far everyone that's seen it has said " Wow" or some variety of that..

i personally have 7.5 inch wide wheels, so my tire size may vary from what you might be considering, but a 195-205 front and 215-225 rear is a good starting point for tire width. these sizes will fit on an 8 inch wide wheel fine.

i currently have a set of Proxes R1R summer uhp tires (200 treadwear rating). they are good in the dry, ok in the wet. quite loud on the highway. Other tires i recommend are the direzza star spec (Dunlop tire) and possibly yokohama fleva (if they come in the right size)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i personally have 7.5 inch wide wheels, so my tire size may vary from what you might be considering, but a 195-205 front and 215-225 rear is a good starting point for tire width. these sizes will fit on an 8 inch wide wheel fine.

i currently have a set of Proxes R1R summer uhp tires (200 treadwear rating). they are good in the dry, ok in the wet. quite loud on the highway. Other tires i recommend are the direzza star spec (Dunlop tire) and possibly yokohama fleva (if they come in the right size)
Looking at the Yokohama Fleva now in a 15" to go on the current wheels. Found them at Tire Rack very reasonable. Thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welcome Jeff, and thanks for being an active member of SpyderChat.
Thanks, I plan to be and stay active. I am/was a VERY active member in c30crew forum for several years attending many meets at the dragon/Fontana. I still have the c30 but it's "finished' so I won't be spending as much time on it or that particular forum. I enjoy learning all I can and I have A LOT to learn about Spyders.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi folks,my name is Jeff,just got my Spyder yesterday after loving them since the debut so long ago. Its a maroon repainted 2000,with TRD body kit, that started life as silver.Mods are TRD blue bars front/rear with TRD coilovers,AEM CAI,and an incredibly loud header exhaust of some type.I dont know much about these cars so I am here to learn.I come from the Volvo community forum c30 where i am a very active member still owning my modded c30.I've been to the dragon at Deals many times and REALLY look forward to taking the Spyder there next April.Was at Tougefest just last weekend where there were two Spyders present.Mine wasnt bought for nor will it be for daily driving,at the age of 50 I cant standup to the hard ride on a daily basis but will be driving it at least once a week.
Hey Jeff congrats on the new spyder. I’m 19 years older than you and my problem is not the ride it’s getting in and out of the little sucker, don’t think I’ll be able to do it to many more years but I sure have enjoyed the open air and the go kart like handling! These cars are easy to maintain and motors are bulletproof. Enjoy and stay safe!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts