MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got a completely free day to go at the car (ok so maybe I slept in till 2pm). By the time i had breakfast, then lunch (thats not a typo, skipping meals is for chumps) I realized i wouldnt have time to grab stuff needed to buffer so I decided to give it a go sans power tools. Started by giving the car 2 good washes and dry, then broke out rubbing compound. Inspected the car panel by panel using the compound as needed to remove spot imperfections. Then I sucked it up big time, lied on the ground, and used rubbing compound on the bottom edges of the car which had started to show some black marks. This was the most tedious part of the job as its fairly difficult when you have no leverage. Next up was the clay bar. I used a Mothers clay bar again working panel by panel.

Last but not least, on the suggestion of Dev and a few others I decided to use Ultima Paint Guard Plus instead of a carnauba wax. Application was incredibly easy, only a few sprays per body panel did the job. By the time I lost daylight I had applied 4 coats of UPGP. At first I was skeptical that this stuff actually even did anything, I mean honestly only 3-4 sprays to coat a door panel, that's gotta be a joke right? So I went to sleep thinking I would have disappointment and more work ahead of me when I woke up. Gotta admit, I was so glad to be wrong. The UPGP looks great, I'm pretty impressed for something so easy to apply. Now I know what you're thinking: "Pics or it didn't happen!!" Well my brother "borrowed" my camera, aka I am never seeing it again, so for now you're gonna have to take my word that the UPGP is both incredibly easy to apply and comes out looking very good

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
Good job however one thing you have to remember is that you have to give it at least 12 hours before applying each coat. What you have done is only add one coat to the car and three for four sprays to do one door panel is too much product. You should be able to do the whole car with that amount.
After about 3 coats with breaks in between it gets even better.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had waited about 15 mins in between coats but I guess this wasn't enough. And it goes on so easy, I really didn't know how to gauge how much to use so I definitely appreciate the feedback. I'll get another coat on as soon as I can, I'm assuming a regular wash & dry is good enough before applying another coat

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
I had waited about 15 mins in between coats but I guess this wasn't enough. And it goes on so easy, I really didn't know how to gauge how much to use so I definitely appreciate the feedback. I'll get another coat on as soon as I can, I'm assuming a regular wash & dry is good enough before applying another coat
As long as the car is clean and not driven all you need to do is wet a microfiber cloth and just go over the car to remove any surface dust. I usually apply a coat then wait until the next day and apply again. Then I just let things be for a time until I have to wash the car then one more coat is added as I build up layers.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As long as the car is clean and not driven all you need to do is wet a microfiber cloth and just go over the car to remove any surface dust. I usually apply a coat then wait until the next day and apply again. Then I just let things be for a time until I have to wash the car then one more coat is added as I build up layers.
Sounds good to me, I'll definitely give it a go like this, maybe get a coat a week this way and build it up some by winter

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
Sounds good to me, I'll definitely give it a go like this, maybe get a coat a week this way and build it up some by winter
After about eleven coats you will get diminishing returns but it's fun to watch it glow even more then before every week.

If you want the paint to be outstanding and at least 50% better then what you have now, next time have the paint professionally burnished.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.