MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sound difference is amazing. I can't wait to install the new speakers I have for the car, but just the new headunit is night and day difference! I've already set the SSP to xD, and will be looking up how to change the text.

I grabbed it for $20 shipped on eBay, and it came with and 3.5mm AUX and an iPod connector. However, I've come to find out that those both plug into a panel in the Scions that I don't have.

I've been suggested the TOY3-AUX adapter, but to pay $70 for an adapter when I paid $20 for the headunit seems absurd to me. I've also heard that the volume is soft on it. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NqjC5qlicCs/p_469TOY3AUX/P-I-E-Aux-Input-Adapter-For-Toyota.html

Are there any other solutions out there? Not afraid to break out the solder. Been searching, but it's been pretty fruitless so far.

radio.jpg

·
Registered
486 Posts
All you need is this to use any Apple dock connector product like iPhone, iPod, etc.. However, it is the old style (30-pin) so if you have newer devices (5S, etc.) you will need a 30-pin>12-pin adaptor in addition to the included adaptor.

But yes if for some reason you want a 3.5MM input as opposed to line-level, I suppose the Amazon cable would be the way to go as well.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I'm not really sure why people don't just buy a proper double-din unit with USB, ipOD control, 3.5mm jack, all on the front plate, with touchscreen, DVD, and bluetooth as an added bonus, along with a specific harness adapter for the car, 11 butt connectors for the wiring, and a crimp tool and Phillips head screw if you don't have them already. With almost every aftermarket unit, you should be able to re-use the brackets that mount your factory unit, for a perfect fit. These units are available incredibly cheap from any number of manufacturers, and they beat the crap out of any of these factory units in performance and features. Maybe you are not aware that this option exists?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'm not really sure why people don't just buy a proper double-din unit with USB, ipOD control, 3.5mm jack, all on the front plate, with touchscreen, DVD, and bluetooth as an added bonus, along with a specific harness adapter for the car, 11 butt connectors for the wiring, and a crimp tool and Phillips head screw if you don't have them already. With almost every aftermarket unit, you should be able to re-use the brackets that mount your factory unit, for a perfect fit. These units are available incredibly cheap from any number of manufacturers, and they beat the crap out of any of these factory units in performance and features. Maybe you are not aware that this option exists?
True, I just didn't want something so flashy it would encourage some meth head to slash my top.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because this cost $20... And I don't need to give anyone a reason to steal my radio (by slashing my soft top).

Something like you're talking about is $300+... No thanks: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVHX4600BT-Bluetooth-Hi-Volt-Pandora/dp/B00GN5K63M/ref=sr_1_108?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1406771188&sr=1-108

·
Registered
804 Posts
Methheads ruin everything. I had the top cut on my convertible 5.0 so some idiot could steal some 6x9 old pioneers out of my car.

I'm not sure he was on meth back then, but I'd wager he is now. What a dick.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'd say that bluetooth is where it's at anyway, none of this connecting wires bs. A single din with removable faceplate that your phone can bluetooth with is the best! I bought a cheap jvc with bluetooth and added a hands free mic to it so I could use it for calls and it was amazing... this was in my 1988 Isuzu trooper haha. That old truck had better sound with hands free calling and music whereas almost no one I knew had any of that coming in their newer cars at the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts