MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the MR2! Finally.

Hi I am Steve. I have been rather obsessed with the Mr2 since the 90's but had only dreamed of owning the "attainable exotic"... until last Friday. I read up on some of the spyderchat FAQs and press release documents but I have a noob question to get me started on here.

I finally bought my 2001 Mr2 Spider with the Celica GTS engine swap 2zz. but that is the only mod, It feels restricted by the stock headers and exhaust yet runs great so I will get into that later.

I read in some documentation the black soft-top is a combination of acrylic, cotton, and some other things. What should I use to restore the top. It looks like the car sat outside much of its 110,000 mile life, and looks worn by the sun especially on the right side. This is my first convertible. Yesterday, I tried something called Blue Magic Convertible Top Protectant and Conditioner, but there where NO results, a waste of time. It was the only convertible top product that pepboys sold. I will return the bottle.

I usually use something like Armorall for anything with black plastic or rubber inside and OUT. Actually Armorall made a world of difference on the exterior plastic side intakes, front and rear grill area, as well as the exterior bottom area of the windshield. It made them all look real nice and dark. I really want to try Armorall on the roof. Does anyone have an opinion on this or know of something I should try first that will restore before I learn the hard way about Armorall eating holes through the MR2's top?

I really like the way Armorall looks on the black exterior parts. My car is silver so these parts need to look bold, Does anyone use Armorall on the roof or is there something else I should try first.

Thanks
-Steve

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Agreed with the 303. Don't use armor all. You may just have a very worn and weathered top that is beyond getting the color back. A new top isn't too much money, if you plan to install it yourself.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
In my experience, the 303 protectants are good for preventing the top from bleaching. If it's already looking white-ish then just refinish it with the Griots stuff as Uncle Mush says. I used the cheap Amazon version here. I'm happy with the result. It is basically paint, so you dont' have to keep reapplying it every time it rains, or you wash the car.

·
Registered
578 Posts
303 Protectant on the top and exterior black and rubber trim. Lexol Vinylex for the interior plastic.
This stuff is awesome for the vinyl soft top. Made mine look new and helps protect the top, as well.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/black+vinyl+top+reconditioner,+8+ounces.do?sortby=ourPicks
Agree with both of these.
First, Clean the top
Then Griot's reconditioner. let that dry
Then 303 on top of that to protect it.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I used the cheap Amazon version here.
Thanks for sharing that link. The applicator looks exactly like the one Griots uses and the bottle looks the same except the Griots bottle is white with a red top and, of course, the lable is different. I'm wondering if it is exactly the same product.

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
Thanks for sharing that link. The applicator looks exactly like the one Griots uses and the bottle looks the same except the Griots bottle is white with a red top and, of course, the lable is different. I'm wondering if it is exactly the same product.
I don't think it would be the same product. Griot's claims that all of his products are made in house and proprietary. Unlike many other products that have different names I never found products that were anything like the Griot's except for one which is the Meguiars gold class car wash but I was mistaken again after re-purchasing the Griots car wash.

·
Registered
729 Posts
In my experience, the 303 protectants are good for preventing the top from bleaching. If it's already looking white-ish then just refinish it with the Griots stuff as Uncle Mush says. I used the cheap Amazon version here. I'm happy with the result. It is basically paint, so you dont' have to keep reapplying it every time it rains, or you wash the car.
+1
Used the same product. It takes years off the appearance of the top. And like he said, unlike 303 it stays on with rain and washing so you don't have to constantly reapply. Clean the top thoroughly and use this. Then if you have a little time you can touch it up with 303 here and there to keep it looking 110%

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome! This is great info, I will try those products. Thanks.

I have been torturing myself not being able to drive the car at all, all week. But I just got it registered and got plates today! Going to pick up some bolts for the plates on my way home from work, then I am good to go. FINALY! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.