MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was told I need a fire extinguisher for my next track event in a month. Did some research but my brain hurts from all the different brands and info.

Anyone recommend one? Preferably cheaper :lol: Or have info I should know about pertaining to this subject?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
So I was told I need a fire extinguisher for my next track event in a month. Did some research but my brain hurts from all the different brands and info.

Anyone recommend one? Preferably cheaper :lol: Or have info I should know about pertaining to this subject?

Thanks
I don't have a good answer for you, and I'm sure some of the guys that do a lot of track days do. One thing i can say was true 5 years ago was that universally, cheap extinguishers are caustic and nasty and destroy the part of the car you have to use it on (halogenated? brominated?)

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
Do the rules specify size?

You can buy a cheap Auto/Marine fire extinguisher at Home Depot. However this is not a dry fire extinguisher and not really the best choice.

A good dry fire chemical extinguisher from Weekend-racer.com is probably around $60. I use this type.

Also most organizations that require an extinguisher also want it mounted within reach of the driver when strapped into the driver seat so you also have to find a way to properly mount it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
this does not help with your request but...

at a local autox we acutally had to use the corner worker fire extinguishers once, a SS zo6 started smoking heavily from the engine bay - not sure what caught on fire but yes anything can happen and it was surprising to see at only an autox and on a stock vehicle

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Also falsely reminded me of the flamefest!

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really don't want the use of a fire extinguisher to destroy my interior while maybe saving my car, on the other hand if your car is going up in flames who cares about the interior. :lol: One of the instructors told me that the actual use of the extinguisher should be to put yourself out and give yourself more time to escape. So i'm leaning towards the more expensive H3R brand Halguard extinguishers. ~120 shipped online for 2.5lb model (min set by rules).

Saw some nice designs on quick releases. I get the basic principle, I'll just make my own. :lol: They said rollbar mounting in reach is ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts