MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just bough a new to me '01 red. Paid way too much for a low mileage (12K) red spyder from West Virginia and spent 4 days getting it to SLC Utah, Loved the WV back roads, which is about all of them. And then 1500 miles of I-70 which I loved less. Anyway just got a Shorty header from MWW that I'm going to get ceramic coated and installed to do my version of gutting the pre cats and then enjoy the car as is for a while. I'm working on posting pictures but so far it isn't going well.
Stan

Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
Congrats on the new spyder. We love pics when your able to share. Lots of fun WV roads so glad you got to drive them before hitting interstate he**. Spyders are definitely the happiest on the twisties and provide more smiles then too 馃檪

Premium Member
Hi Stan, welcome!

That is low mileage (and best color :cool:). "Way too much," is entirely subjective. If you love it, that's all that matters.

Isn't going well? With regards to the car, or posting? You should be able to drag/drop insert in your replies and posts if you don't have the images hosted elsewhere. If you're not able to post them due to limits, make sure your email has been confirmed (should be already, if you're posting in general), and that you've got 10 posts out.

If the car - post up some pics in the tech forum (or wherever is most appropriate), and we'll try our combined best to help.

If not - we welcome pics, in general! Start a Member Thread post for yourself.

Registered
I'll summon pwnzor to instruct you on posting pics. I figured it out, partially thru his "offerings" and experimenting on my own...that's how I was able to update my avatar to my current Spyder and post other pics.
Too bad you didn't "let it out" that you were going to be traveling West on I70...I live in Indy, and we could have possibly met up and taken some pics.
Enjoy your "new to you" Spyder!

Super Moderator
Welcome aboard! You can cut and paste directly into this forum just like using MS Word or Libre Office or any similar software. Likewise you can just upload directly from your computer.

Looking forward to seeing your Spyder! It's really all about back roads. I've driven mine from Atlanta to Los Angeles and back twice now, along with various parts of Colorado while taking the long way through all the states in between. I think the farthest I took back roads so far was Gary, Indiana all the way back to Atlanta on route 41 pretty much the whole way.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car is going GREAT! Hell, I got three compliments just going to Chick Filet and back yesterday. It's the posting pic's part that isn't going well and after my initial post, I read where I need 10 posts before I can post a pic. So, soon I'll get some pics up but really it's just a stock red '01. Darn clean one though.
I have read reviews where most people that have tried both cars preferred Miata's to Spyder's but I really like this car better than my '00 Miata. More interior room for my portly 6'1" old guy self and it has a better power band IMHO. The gas mileage is better too. I was surprised when I posted that I first joined this forum in 2014, I bought my miata then and owned it until a couple of years ago. When my low mileage MR2 showed up at what I could afford a couple of weeks ago, I scooped it up and so far this thing rocks except for no cruise control on all day long freeway stretches.

Registered
Hi guys, just bough a new to me '01 red. Paid way too much for a low mileage (12K) red spyder from West Virginia and spent 4 days getting it to SLC Utah, Loved the WV back roads, which is about all of them. And then 1500 miles of I-70 which I loved less. Anyway just got a Shorty header from MWW that I'm going to get ceramic coated and installed to do my version of gutting the pre cats and then enjoy the car as is for a while. I'm working on posting pictures but so far it isn't going well.
Stan

not sure what "too much" is for a 12k mile car
i felt the same way about my car when i first got it but not any more.
anywho welcome to the club one

can post pics if you attach them using the buttons below the message input section with the lil gear

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
17K is too much for a 21 year old car. It is in amazing shape though. Still going great with the car. Found the right rear shock leaking so it's looking like I have some Koni inserts in my near future.

Registered
17K is too much for a 21 year old car.
I agree with you only because I enjoy driving my cars & put a lot of miles on them. For better or worse the market bubble as is now would say that is an appropriate price that you paid, however if you put half as many miles as I do each year you'll be out a lot of money whenever it comes time to sell. Either way, enjoy the damn thing & welcome aboard.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I am retired and the wife only has a couple of years more of working from home before she retires. Together we get about 10K per year all cars, 4 of them, combined. So, it won't be exactly high mileage in the next couple of years. Also I only "lurked" for about 6 months or so then bought a miata which I drove for about 6 years. This time looking at a sports car, only a Spyder would do.

Registered
17K is too much for a 21 year old car. It is in amazing shape though. Still going great with the car. Found the right rear shock leaking so it's looking like I have some Koni inserts in my near future.
I just paid that for a 40k mile 03. Your price seems fine given it is like new. One important note since I have 3 spyders with 40k miles. Your car is like new but the rubber parts go bad not just with miles. My first grey 05 had a dealer 40k service, belts, hoses fluids etc. My next 40k grey car had oil changes and I had to do the 40k maintenance belts hoses etc. My latest 40k car just had oil changes too. Just took off the belt and it was pretty ugly. You should make sure your car is up to speed on maintenance and then drive the heck out of it.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, I've already got the brake fluid and oil changed out. I'll be getting to checking other consumables soon. I've got a header from Monkey Wrench Racing out being ceramic coated so I can get rid of pre cats. It's the cheap header that bolts to the factory cat but I didn't buy it for the power gain anyway and as a good side effect, for me anyway, the factory exhaust heat shielding will bolt into place so it will all still look stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts