MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder 5sp, 137 hp
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Magenta

Time slip for the first track run of my 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder! It’s also my first time running a car down the track so nerves definitely played a roll in the time. Luckily we have a long day of Test and Tune runs at Import Face Off at HRP in Baytown, TX today! If you are in the area come out and enjoy a day of cars and fun!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
That 1/4 mile time is depressing...just like the everyday driver drag race where they show the Spyder (and many other 2 seaters of the same era) being beaten from a dig by a minivan on an airstrip. Cool stuff though, I'd do the same just to see where my car is at if I lived near a track. How did you feel your launch was?

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,448 Posts
I think it's not bad for a stock MR-S in that kind of air temperature. These days the car is basically just a light chassis to be used to swap something into. Those numbers wouldn't hurt my feelings at all in a stock car. I would focus on improving my response time and 60 ft times. There are plenty of forum members who have scary fast Spyders in the 1/4 mile. That's a very respectable time for a 20 year old economy engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That 1/4 mile time is depressing...just like the everyday driver drag race where they show the Spyder (and many other 2 seaters of the same era) being beaten from a dig by a minivan on an airstrip. Cool stuff though, I'd do the same just to see where my car is at if I lived near a track. How did you feel your launch was?
I felt like my launch was actually pretty good from inside the car but my boyfriend has videos and he said it was bogging some but the adrenaline got me a bit at times and I wasn’t slow off the clutch on launch sometimes (alright truthfully most of the time).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it's not bad for a stock MR-S in that kind of air temperature. These days the car is basically just a light chassis to be used to swap something into. Those numbers wouldn't hurt my feelings at all in a stock car. I would focus on improving my response time and 60 ft times. There are plenty of forum members who have scary fast Spyders in the 1/4 mile. That's a very respectable time for a 20 year old economy engine.
My reaction time got much better throughout the day. That was my first hit and I thought someone was lining up with me but no one did and they hit the lights before I was even hitting rev limit for launch control.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are all my time slips from the day! I am # 4178 just so you know. My reaction time got better but I was also dumping the clutch on those runs. It was a great day I felt like and wish I could have stayed to do more but I have work tonight unfortunately. For my very first time taking any car out on the track it was a fantastic experience and I cannot wait to build the car up to more power as time goes on. This is just the start to an awesome build!
First Run
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Magenta

Second Run
Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Magenta

Third Run
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot

Fourth Run
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

Fifth Run
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Sixth and Final Run
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
By depressing I in no way meant your driving, launch, etc....I just meant the limitation of power in a stock Spyder. Its also somewhat depressing that a 1960's Ferrari would lose a drag race to a Honda Odyssey as well.

I remember the first time I did autocross in my stock Spyder, I finally decided to launch it & was surprised how much quicker it came off the line although it is tricky to get the clutch pedal out just. Practice makes perfect however idk about your situation but I really despise driveway clutch jobs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By depressing I in no way meant your driving, launch, etc....I just meant the limitation of power in a stock Spyder. Its also somewhat depressing that a 1960's Ferrari would lose a drag race to a Honda Odyssey as well.

I remember the first time I did autocross in my stock Spyder, I finally decided to launch it & was surprised how much quicker it came off the line although it is tricky to get the clutch pedal out just. Practice makes perfect however idk about your situation but I really despise driveway clutch jobs.
I understand. The power provided stock is lacking considering what the car could ultimately do with it having good handling and cornering capabilities. I’m currently running on what I think is the original clutch or an OEM swap out. My throw out bearing has started rattling and it’s time to flush the transmission with new fluid soon. Mind you my motor is probably hurt even after a full rod bearing changeout as I’m getting oil through the valve stem seals during deceleration, but with only a MWR header and mid pipe, MWR cold air intake, an EMU Black ECU with tune on 93, and some time it has gotten back to running well for what it is. Now I crave more power after today so a used Corolla 1ZZ-FE motor may be in my garage soon for a tear down and build up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You have some pretty good reaction times and 60’ times. Its also impressive that you did this on a car that has a very tired engine. Did you take the spare tire and tire jack/tool kit out for weight savings?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have some pretty good reaction times and 60’ times. Its also impressive that you did this on a car that has a very tired engine. Did you take the spare tire and tire jack/tool kit out for weight savings?
No we actually did not take them out. After the first run, we hit the scales and weighed 2505 with me, spare tire and those tools, and a full tank of gas in the car. So we continued to take passes like that the rest of the day. Most of those passes were also done with a good amount of heat soak as well as we were taking every opportunity we could to make passes just so I could get the seat time and track experience.

·
Registered
50 Posts
No we actually did not take them out. After the first run, we hit the scales and weighed 2505 with me, spare tire and those tools, and a full tank of gas in the car. So we continued to take passes like that the rest of the day. Most of those passes were also done with a good amount of heat soak as well as we were taking every opportunity we could to make passes just so I could get the seat time and track experience.
it would be interesting to see if it would make a difference having no tools or tire and a 1/4 tank of gas. that’s what my friends and myself used to do back in the day when I used to drag race. We never did do back to back runs to see if it made much of a difference unloading the extra weight. Either way looks like you had a great first time at the track!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it would be interesting to see if it would make a difference having no tools or tire and a 1/4 tank of gas. that’s what my friends and myself used to do back in the day when I used to drag race. We never did do back to back runs to see if it made much of a difference unloading the extra weight. Either way looks like you had a great first time at the track!
Yes I definitely did and luckily my boyfriend was able to join me as we both had the time to go! My boyfriend is the one who helped me tune it! When we get the next chance to run it on the track I’ll see about taking the extra weight out. I drove it to and home from the track and we only had the small support car of my boyfriend’s that is full of his Subaru and VW parts so wasn’t much room to lock up the tire jack and spare. I didn’t lose much gas making the runs I did on the track. It wasn’t until I drove to work with the A/C on that I started using more gas and I think I’m down to 3/4ths of a tank now.

·
Registered
502 Posts
It is the same on the road.
Just about any SUV and MPV outaccellerates the Spyder. Annoying on interior mountan roads as they ruin corners/bends, the flow of driving.
For dríving the 1ZZ is quick enough but to overtake :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
For me the 1zz was fine to overtake with its only saving grace being that the manual trans is ready to move as soon as you are. The 2zz has pullout speed/quickness as in you can pull out into a freeway lane from a dead stop & not get rear ended. Neither has dedicated single lane road passing power where the proper areas are short & far between that's for sure.

But on the bright side we get 30+mpg with the top down & heavy on the gas. It would probably make for a decent 24 hr of Lemons car as the time you lose on speed you'd make up for in less fuel stops

1 - 14 of 14 Posts