MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of days ago I was pulling into the drive of my hotel, when my lost power and wouldn't start again. I was previously in reverse before I pulled into the drive and having looked on the road where I had driven it appears all the fluid from my gearbox had leaked on to the road from the point I had gone into reverse.

The car had to be towed to my local garage, where it is currently now, but I have yet to hear news on it.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem is?

·
Registered
802 Posts
If it's tranny fluid, check your axle seals. Pretty common leak, apparently. Lots of threads on newcelica.org about it. Relatively easy fix too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My MR2 has a SMT. The breakdown guy who towed the car seemed to think it was transmission fluid. It's currently stuck in reverse and I'm unable to start the car.

Do you think it's going to be an expensive job to get it fixed?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
A Scientific Wild Ass Guess..

You split a Hose or Coulpling on the SMT Hyd Power Unit that 'Runs' the Shift parts of the SMT..

I can think of no other cause for an Oil Leak to go from Nothing to Spitting, in only one Shift..

The TCU will not let the Car Start because it's not in Netural.. and the Car can not get into netural because all the SMT fluid is pumped on the Ground..

Taste ( or Smell ) the Fluid.. If my hunch is right, then it will smell like brake fluid.. that is the SMT Hyd Fluid..

For testing, the Mechanic can use DOT 4 Brake Fluid.. to find the leak.. actually the DOT 4 can stay in the Car..

IF this is only a Hose, Fitting leak, then ( Depending upon the Mechanic ) you might get of cheap, if he is crafty.. Else if he goes the 'Toyota Route' it will be about $2K or so..

Cap

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just seen the mechanic. Sounds like you were pretty much spot on Cap.

The hose has disconnected itself due to the seal corroding, causing the fluid to leak out at once. The mechanic said new seals are available, the problem is removing the air from the hose.

Do you know if there is any way of removing the air. Any kind of bleeding mechanism? As you say, the alternative is £2K+ which is buying the whole thing, and I really don't want to be doing that. The mechanic seems pretty determined not to as well...

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Air is not a problem.. it will work itself out..

Sounds like you have a good Mechanic.. KEEP HIM.. they are hard to find..

A 'Persistent' SMT owner has changed the SMT hoses to Hyd Hoses, with no Q.D.'s.. little bit of a Pain to get it all put together.. but for the Cost, it's worth it..

Good Luck..

Cap

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does anyone know where I can get hold of the 'gold' SMT hose? Or if I can get one made?

The mechanic has said that where the hose has detached itself, the clip in the hose has broke, meaning it'll either need a new one or a hose can be made and the existing parts from the old hose re-attached?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
From my reading on this site, the Hoses are not available separately..

The threads are 1/8 Pipe.. Likely BST..

One guy in Russia used Hyd Hose with Flair Conversions Screwed into the SMT bits, to allow the Flair Hose ends to be Installed..

That is the 'Crafty Mechanic' part I was talking about..

The pressure is MAX of 70 Bar.. but the Hoses do not see that much.. that is what the Pump and Accumulator are good for..

Cap

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are you aware of the best place to get hold a Hyd hose that is suitable?

The mechanic said it needs to be the same length but he'd be able to attach the existing bits from the current SMT hose.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Why not check a few dealerships. Get a quote and part # from the first dealer, then check around other dealers and online dealers for the same part #. You can always ask your local dealer to price match (not that they will).

Sometimes it's easier to shell out an extra buck or two for a geniune part than re-engineering it yourself. Lines/tubes might not be too expensive. (I'm assuming the gold line is a hard line, but either way...)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Why not check a few dealerships. Get a quote and part # from the first dealer, then check around other dealers and online dealers for the same part #. You can always ask your local dealer to price match (not that they will).

Sometimes it's easier to shell out an extra buck or two for a geniune part than re-engineering it yourself. Lines/tubes might not be too expensive. (I'm assuming the gold line is a hard line, but either way...)
The problem is that you can't just buy the parts for the SMT, you basically replace the system or craft a solution.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Right, I've managed to speak to a guy who has a second hand actuator with the three hoses attached for £200. Does this sound like it's worth it to you considering it is the one hose that needs replacing?

Will an actuator with the three hoses be easy enough for the mechanic to install considering he hasn't worked on an SMT before?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.