MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
I would be interested in possibly putting a turbo kit into my mr2, but my question is how do i find an experienced installer in the midwest? All these products and companies that will mod a mr2 are all out West in California.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Originally posted by dbldown768
I would be interested in possibly putting a turbo kit into my mr2, but my question is how do i find an experienced installer in the midwest? All these products and companies that will mod a mr2 are all out West in California.
I think you have to bite the bullet and do it yourself.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
It will take some time and some research, but you can find a shop in your area. Look in the member list for people in your area. Ask them. Look around at car meets in your area. Talk to folks who have had work done on their car and ask them. Then go talk to the shop, try and meet the installer/tuner. You want someone who has worked on Toyotas and has experience installing and tuning the eManage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone, im condisering to get an MR-S and do the 2-ZZ swap..but i was wondering, should I get an earlier model MR-S (5 speed) and swap the factory 5 speed gear box to a celica six speed one ? or should I get a late model MR-S with a six speed gear box and just stick with it??? so i can save more money this way??

+ how can you tell whether the 2-ZZ that you are buying is in good condition and in low milelage or not?? or is it just depends whether the guy that sell you the engine is honest or not.

also when i got the engine swap done, and wanna modify it like replacing the exhaust and filter etc, do i have to get them custom make??

any help would be much appreciated thanks

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
-The Spyder 5 and 6 speeds share the same ratios. The 6 speed just has that cruising gear to drop the rpm down on the highway. The Celica 6 speed has the more aggressive ratios. You can stay with the 5 speed, it will work.

-Besides the sellers honesty I guess your only other options is carfax.com. If the motor is still in a car you can do a compression test on it to get an idea on its health.

-With LittleRocket's swap header you can reuse the entire stock cat/cat back if you like. It will be restrictive on the 2ZZ though.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I *think* I remember reading somewhere on here about there might differences if we get vibe longblock? Looking at car-parts.com vibe engines tend to be cheaper and I was wondering if any differences or other things I might need if I purchased a vibe engine.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
I have the 04 Vibe 2zz with 01 celica 6-speed trannie. The only differance I remember is the angle of the fitting between the Throttle body and intake. I used a hacked Injen intake.

David

·
Registered
247 Posts
Originally posted by grumpy
I have the 04 Vibe 2zz with 01 celica 6-speed trannie. The only differance I remember is the angle of the fitting between the Throttle body and intake. I used a hacked Injen intake.

David
Aren't cams from Vibe and Matrix 2ZZ less agressive? Apparently those engines produce only 168hp

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Originally posted by Fred777+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fred777)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-grumpy

David
Aren't cams from Vibe and Matrix 2ZZ less agressive? Apparently those engines produce only 168hp[/b]
My dyno of 04 Vibe with stock internals:Just a header,intake and PFC.

http://spyderchat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php...ight=grumpy+2zz

Also recently I read a post by LittleRocket that he checked parts numbers and the cams in the Matrix and Vibe are the same as the Celica.

EDIT: added the 2 after the phpBB for link to work again. Thanks to MoAtt for the heads up :wink:

·
Registered
247 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Originally posted by Fred777+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fred777)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-grumpy
My dyno of 04 Vibe with stock internals:Just a header,intake and PFC.

http://spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?...ight=grumpy+2zz

Also recently I read a post by LittleRocket that he checked parts numbers and the cams in the Matrix and Vibe are the same as the Celica.
That's strange, on Matrix specs ( http://www.toyota.com/matrix/specs.html ) there is only 164hp. :?[/b]
I believe that is whp...180 crank like the celica.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
updated with c2power and tte kits.

·
Registered
129 Posts
:cry:

Originally posted by mastern00b
Im super noobs with cars, i just recieved a mr2 from my dad. I found it to weak stock so i intend to engine swap with the 2zz. but b4 that i think i should get the stage 1 turbo, but if i do engine swap could i use the same turbo kit? sorry if im an idiot im only 16 :|
For the love of God, someone please tell me this is just some troll. Kid, seriously do your life a favor: Give your father back the keys to that car and kick him in the nuts for me. He should not be allowed to reproduce.

There is nothing more frightening than KNOWING someone has been handed a vehicle that is too much power for them and they don't even know it. If you live to be 21 without wrecking this car and killing yourself or someone else, I will personally extend my apologies to you for this post. You just shouldn't hand an inexperienced 16 year old the keys to a mid-engine, rear wheel drive car that weighs sub-2200 pounds.

Kid, if you are really lucky, within the next decade of your life you might be ready to handle a car with that type of power.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
how many of the worlds best drivers started in more powerful cars before they had a license to drive on the streets? maybe you need to spend a few less hours at the bus station...

·
Registered
192 Posts
umm.. ive been driving a spyder since i could drive and its been 2 years and i could handle it just fine when i started driving..

·
Registered
7,638 Posts

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Links fixed. I'll add the additional stuff to consider WTS.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
21 - 40 of 92 Posts