MR2 SpyderChat banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Re: $$$$

Originally posted by Hpnotiq
My lord, why does everything have to be so expensive lol, my friend got a crappy srt 4, which is fast...but still an ugly neon, and got his turbo upgrade for like 1500, why do MR2 turbos have to cost soooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >.<;
SRT4 has factory F.I.
The MK-III MR2 doesnt. Its not even an option. You have to start from scratch. Nothing about the engine design has F.I, or power adders in mind.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Re: $$$$

Originally posted by WTS+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WTS)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Hpnotiq
My lord, why does everything have to be so expensive lol, my friend got a crappy srt 4, which is fast...but still an ugly neon, and got his turbo upgrade for like 1500, why do MR2 turbos have to cost soooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >.<;
SRT4 has factory F.I.
The MK-III MR2 doesnt. Its not even an option. You have to start from scratch. Nothing about the engine design has F.I, or power adders in mind.[/b]
kills me...just kills me!

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
IF you can source the parts, fabricate, wrench and tune it yourself then $2500 will get you a stock internaled Neon killer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Originally posted by WTS
IF you can source the parts, fabricate, wrench and tune it yourself then $2500 will get you a stock internaled Neon killer.
thas the problem I don't know (edited for language - Matt) about cars lol so all the labor is what will end up costing me so i pretty much am SOL
i assume.

·
Registered
21,830 Posts
Originally posted by Hpnotiq+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hpnotiq)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-WTS
thas the problem I don't know (edited for Language - Matt) about cars lol so all the labor is what will end up costing me so i pretty much am SOL
i assume.[/b]
Don't go turbo... I would just ditch this car if you can't stand the stock power. Really this car isn't about speed and with a SMT you're only real option is to go FI. You can't go FI without knowing a good deal about cars or you're really going to be in for a treat.

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
For $1000-1500 you can bolt on at most 20-30hp and much of that is lost if you do decide to go FI later.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Originally posted by WTS
For $1000-1500 you can bolt on at most 20-30hp and much of that is lost if you do decide to go FI later.
ya i guess since im poor and have SMT i have no choice haha id be extremly happy with 30 more hp
but as far as FI my hopes were crushed.

·
Registered
21,830 Posts
Originally posted by Hpnotiq+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hpnotiq)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-WTS
ya i guess since im poor and have SMT i have no choice haha id be extremly happy with 30 more hp
but as far as FI my hopes were crushed.[/b]
Have you done any suspension mods ? There's LOTS of good things to be had there for cheap. That will improve your driving experience a good ammount too.

·
Registered
349 Posts
so i have about 2500$ and its burning a hole in my pocket!
Take it out of your pocket, give it to your dad, and tell him not to give it back until you've got enough for whatever turbo kit/engine swap you want. By then, you should have plenty of experience with the stock setup, and you'll have more knowledge to make your purchasing decisions on.

·
Registered
356 Posts
lol werd... suspension is where it is at, i just got my spyder and the first mod i did was a SS, next comes my suspension... than just track time... than power mods...

·
Registered
162 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WTS @ May 31 2007, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
SRT4 has factory F.I.
The MK-III MR2 doesnt. Its not even an option. You have to start from scratch. Nothing about the engine design has F.I, or power adders in mind.
[/b]
You know, I hate that everything is so expensive, but there is a good side to that. My Spyder may not be unique to the world, but she is damn rare. I love that. I don't want something that I see every other car, or three parked on the curb in front of Starbucks cause they are driven by putzes who can't park like everyone else.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Updated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just recently I purchased a Mr2 and although I'm content with its stock performance, what sort of information should one know before attempting to endeavor into turbo, 2zz, and the recent superchargers? Essentially they increase the performance of your Mr2, but where might I find the basics of these? Really all I'm looking for is a slightly better 0-60 acceleration, but other than that I'm not sure if it's really worth pursuing. If anyone could give me an overview that would be much appreciated. Not to digress, but what sort of relatively inexpensive things can you do to ensure your top stock performance such as gasoline, air filter, whatever. Also I should note, my experience, mechanically, is limited.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts
About this Discussion
90 Replies
55 Participants
tbone61970
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing