MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forget upgrading to a 2ZZ, who’s going to install the G16E-GTS turbocharged motor from the GR Yaris/Corolla? Is this a swap we can expect to see in the near future?

· Registered
Weigh, Cut, Weigh, Weld, Glue, Cut, Weigh, Drill
2,456 Posts
[QUOTE="frinesi2, post: 2193938, . But man, could there be a more perfect motor swap from a modern car?
[/QUOTE]

Turbo Busa perhaps?

· Registered
144 Posts
400whp on g16 after bolt on mods.

plus I have yet to hear a person not complain about tuning yet On the 1zz.
They're solid when built correctly. Most people try to cheap out and end up spending more because of the countless problems they create by not doing it the right way in the first place. Ideally, it should start with forged pistons and billet rods. The capability of the person who tunes the car is also very important.

A reliable 1ZZ Turbo costs like $10K for something done properly.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seems like a waste of money when you can reach the same result by turbocharging a 1ZZ for much cheaper.
But turboing a 1ZZ doesn’t get you as much street cred. Admit it, you know you want to be the first guy at your local cars and coffee who can brag that he has the Gazoo Racing motor. 😂 😉

· Registered
144 Posts
But turboing a 1ZZ doesn’t get you as much street cred. Admit it, you know you want to be the first guy at your local cars and coffee who can brag that he has the Gazoo Racing motor. 😂 😉
...maybe if street cred helps you sleep at night? Is that you?

Fortunately, I don't care about what anyone thinks and don't have any desire to flex my wallet for attention.

· Registered
5,380 Posts
Who knows, maybe it just drops in, the mounting points match, the axles match, the wiring is plug and play, the immobilizer is a non-issue, coms with the cluster and ac and ps are a non sequitur, PPE offers bolt-on exhaust options, and the ECU is perfectly happy outside of its native chassis - what a I saying you can run it on the Spyder ECU. Not sure if the guys who brought you the 2zz swap, the k-swap, or the 2ar swap are even going to bother with this, it's too simple.

· Registered
2,071 Posts
$10K for a turbo 1ZZ making 400 wheel? What a fantasy. You get that it's an economy engine designed for the Corolla, right?

I bet no matter how many thousands of dollars of forged goodies (if available) you threw at it, the open deck cylinder block couldn't handle 400 wheel.

They're solid when built correctly. Most people try to cheap out and end up spending more because of the countless problems they create by not doing it the right way in the first place. Ideally, it should start with forged pistons and billet rods. The capability of the person who tunes the car is also very important.

A reliable 1ZZ Turbo costs like $10K for something done properly.

· Registered
Weigh, Cut, Weigh, Weld, Glue, Cut, Weigh, Drill
2,456 Posts
$10K for a turbo 1ZZ making 400 wheel? What a fantasy. You get that it's an economy engine designed for the Corolla, right?

I bet no matter how many thousands of dollars of forged goodies (if available) you threw at it, the open deck cylinder block couldn't handle 400 wheel.
I think you forgot the /S

There are people on this forum who have 400HP 1ZZ cars. One sold like 6 months ago. Quite a few 2ZZ swaps in that range too. Not everyone posts up Dyno charts these days. Not much to brag about when "performance" cars all have 1000 HP from the factory with angry cat, wombat, whatever badges on the fenders.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not much to brag about when "performance" cars all have 1000 HP from the factory with angry cat, wombat, whatever badges on the fenders.
Wombat. 😂
Don’t underestimate the mighty Dodge Wombat:

“Humans can receive puncture wounds from wombat claws, as well as bites. Startled wombats can also charge humans and bowl them over, with the attendant risks of broken bones from the fall. One naturalist, Harry Frauca, once received a bite 2 cm (0.8 in) deep into the flesh of his leg—through a rubber boot, trousers and thick woollen socks. A UK newspaper, The Independent, reported that on 6 April 2010, a 59-year-old man from rural Victoria state was mauled by a wombat (thought to have been angered by mange), causing a number of cuts and bite marks requiring hospital treatment. He resorted to killing it with an axe.”causing a number of cuts and bite marks requiring hospital treatment. He resorted to killing it with an axe.” –Wikipedia

Myself, I’m going to install a Honey Badger emblem on my fender.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts