MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this to the main forum, but I believe it's more suitable here:

Every once in a while I'll search for random Spyder crap on ebay motors.

Today I found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Toyota-2ZZ-GE-Complete-Engine-2000-2005-Celica-GTS-VVTi-6-Speed-/180802545701?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a18abe825

Does the price seem what its worth from what it comes with? Basically, if I just bought a flat engine, then bought the other parts like the ECU, 6 speed MT, etc, would the price be roughly the same?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
you could find a Lotus motor newer and cheaper

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
For low miles, and engine and transmission complete that doesn't sound too bad. The transmissions are $2.2K new, and the engines are almost $7K I think.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For low miles, and engine and transmission complete that doesn't sound too bad. The transmissions are $2.2K new, and the engines are almost $7K I think.
That's what I was thinking too. I'm in the very, very early stages of planning a 2ZZ swap and am trying to determine if I could save a bit on initial parts cost by going with an eBay 2ZZ with a 6 speed, rather than buying everything from MWR.

I'm still a ways out from purchasing an engine, but if I can find a deal that's worth jumping on, I'll be all over it, even if the engine has to sit for a bit before going in.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
That's what I was thinking too. I'm in the very, very early stages of planning a 2ZZ swap and am trying to determine if I could save a bit on initial parts cost by going with an eBay 2ZZ with a 6 speed, rather than buying everything from MWR.

I'm still a ways out from purchasing an engine, but if I can find a deal that's worth jumping on, I'll be all over it, even if the engine has to sit for a bit before going in.
Just a thought, but MWR is not the only company that sells swap kits for the spyder... ^_^

As for that engine package - considering you get the alternator, A/C compressor, P/S pump, harness, trans and all, thats a good deal *IF* the engine & trans condition is as good as is promised.

From the head and exhaust manifold, I can tell you that that engine was built sometime between 1999 and 2003. Thats REALLY low miles for a car that old so IMO the mileage number is suspect. Also looking at the top of the block breather tube where it bolts to the valve cover, it would appear that the engine has been either acid washed or painted to give it that ultra clean appearance.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
So I assume that you are in Canada as the motor you are looking at is in Canada.

Too bad, I have a a complete 2zz with a C60 tranny and everything you need for a swap that I would let go for around the same price for this motor . But everything is in California though.

Goodluck with your search. IMHO, you can find much better deals out there if you are patient.

P.S. Please do not start PMing about parting anything, as it's not gonna happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts