MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's the .pdf file from which these images were captured.

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
26,913 Posts
It is much slower, doesn't brake or handle as well, doesn't look as nice inside or out, and nobody in their right mind would trade (even disregarding price), yet the magazine gives the Toyota 9/10 vs 8/10 for the awesome Cayman. No supporting logic for their numerical scoring. What is this?

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
It is much slower, doesn't brake or handle as well, doesn't look as nice inside or out, and nobody in their right mind would trade (even disregarding price), yet the magazine gives the Toyota 9/10 vs 8/10 for the awesome Cayman. No supporting logic for their numerical scoring. What is this?
I would not trade down if I owned a Cayman. Being poor I can not consider a Cayman or FR-S. I suspect pricing has more weight on the rating then anything else. Fortunately my spyder satisfies my wants very well.

·
Banned
415 Posts
I would not trade down if I owned a Cayman. Being poor I can not consider a Cayman or FR-S. I suspect pricing has more weight on the rating then anything else. Fortunately my spyder satisfies my wants very well.
+1
And that's GT86, NOT FRS. GT86 has better interior. FRS has corolla interior. That's bad btw for those who are blind toyota fans.

·
Registered
23,102 Posts
I think they don't understand the term you get what you pay for. The Cayman is more car and you are paying for it.
This silly article is for the the fan boys. The road test for the BMW M3 and new Mustang was a lot better because it showed us how a Mustang was comparable in performance at it's price point.
I am not against the FR-S but lets be honest with what it is then what it's not.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I cannot afford a Porche .The FRS looks to me to like it could be the car I may trade my spyder on.I have looked at the 370Z but again it's cost is prohibitive to me.I have been to the spec site on Toyota's web site but cannot find all I would like to know.They say it handles well in the press but no details as to skidpad tests or layout of suspension.
Can anyone direct me to a more detailed web site? Thanks

·
Registered
754 Posts
You can afford a Porsche.

You just need to retro-mod an older Porsche to eliminate the unreliable electronics and nonexistant power. There are even shops who will do the entire conversion for you. Take an old Porsche 944. An LS1, LS2, LS3 or even LSX will bolt right in there. There are companies who sell the conversion kits. For under $10k they will do the entire conversion for you to include providing the motor, turbo model trans with the n/a model 5th gear for highway use, electronics, power steering and yes you can even keep the A/C.
That also puts you at almost the same weight as the FR-S cars for almost 1/3 the price. Only with much more horsepower then most can safely manage. A coworker has an already completed 944 and it was fantastic to get the chance to drive it.

Older Porsche parts aren't that hard to find and not as expensive as some assume.
http://www.944hybrids.com/index.html

Add a widebody kit so you can run 11in wide front tires and 13in wide rears if you really want to go overboard.

If you really want a 911 then go late 70's to early 80's and they aren't hard to find for around $15k or less.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
In the end neither are a car I lust after and neither are convertibles. I will keep the spyder. Someone could give me a Beck 550 but I think I would rather make my own convertible all said and done.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I like the Toyota but the Cayman is in another league altogether, can't afford the cayman though. Article is obviously biased and weighs in heavily on price for the rating.

·
Registered
145 Posts
A good friend of mine just bought an immaculate 2007 Cayman for 20k. if you are willing to get one a few years old the price is not so unbearable. The maintenance on the other hand...

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
A good friend of mine just bought an immaculate 2007 Cayman for 20k. if you are willing to get one a few years old the price is not so unbearable. The maintenance on the other hand...
To the best of my knowledge the only thing to have in mind Cayman wise is that they started using direct injection around the '07-08 model year, and fuel economy improves significantly.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
You can afford a Porsche.

You just need to retro-mod an older Porsche to eliminate the unreliable electronics and nonexistant power. There are even shops who will do the entire conversion for you. Take an old Porsche 944. An LS1, LS2, LS3 or even LSX will bolt right in there. There are companies who sell the conversion kits. For under $10k they will do the entire conversion for you to include providing the motor, turbo model trans with the n/a model 5th gear for highway use, electronics, power steering and yes you can even keep the A/C.
That also puts you at almost the same weight as the FR-S cars for almost 1/3 the price. Only with much more horsepower then most can safely manage. A coworker has an already completed 944 and it was fantastic to get the chance to drive it.

Older Porsche parts aren't that hard to find and not as expensive as some assume.
http://www.944hybrids.com/index.html

Add a widebody kit so you can run 11in wide front tires and 13in wide rears if you really want to go overboard.

If you really want a 911 then go late 70's to early 80's and they aren't hard to find for around $15k or less.
Sounds good from a performance standpoint, but the only thing that the general Porsche population likes less than the 924/944/968 cars are those cars with "bastardized" innards. No biggie if it doesn't matter to you, of course, but they are the red headed step children of the Porsche family.

:D

The 911SC cars, 1978-83, are probably the most reliable Porsche flat six engines ever built, having said that, they're down on power, 180 hp in a 2,800 lb car for 15.5 lbs/hp, very little better than the MR2 S, and being now 30-35 years old they're getting to the end of their service life. To "freshen" suspension, brakes and wheels/tires, seals and hoses, etc. is VERY expensive, and the motors are as cost prohibitive as the current ones.

If you find a nice, clean one with good paint, glass and interior for $10K you should plan on at LEAST another $10K and probably more realistically $15K more to turn it into a reliable ride.

I loved my '80 911SC Weissach edition car, it had "the look" that I most associate with the Porsche cars of my earlier days, but I can't afford to keep one up, and they do deserve to be kept in top shape.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Just another crappy magazine article

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sounds good from a performance standpoint, but the only thing that the general Porsche population likes less than the 924/944/968 cars are those cars with "bastardized" innards. No biggie if it doesn't matter to you, of course, but they are the red headed step children of the Porsche family.

:D

The 911SC cars, 1978-83, are probably the most reliable Porsche flat six engines ever built, having said that, they're down on power, 180 hp in a 2,800 lb car for 15.5 lbs/hp, very little better than the MR2 S, and being now 30-35 years old they're getting to the end of their service life. To "freshen" suspension, brakes and wheels/tires, seals and hoses, etc. is VERY expensive, and the motors are as cost prohibitive as the current ones.

If you find a nice, clean one with good paint, glass and interior for $10K you should plan on at LEAST another $10K and probably more realistically $15K more to turn it into a reliable ride.

I loved my '80 911SC Weissach edition car, it had "the look" that I most associate with the Porsche cars of my earlier days, but I can't afford to keep one up, and they do deserve to be kept in top shape.
Odd because they still attend Porsche events here in San Antonio, still can be seen at the Porsche dealer for service and are openly welcome at the 944 Fest in Ohio. You really need to see an LS swapped 914 though if you want a look at unmanageable power versus traction. Although Porsche even has their snobs between different Porsche models.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Odd because they still attend Porsche events here in San Antonio, still can be seen at the Porsche dealer for service and are openly welcome at the 944 Fest in Ohio. You really need to see an LS swapped 914 though if you want a look at unmanageable power versus traction. Although Porsche even has their snobs between different Porsche models.
The 924/944/968 chassis is one of the best Porsche ever produced, it's just the front vs rear engine snobs, for sure. I was just mentioning it. Like I said, if you don't care, you'll get a great car out of it.

When I was selling my 911 a guy wanted to trade a 914 that had a professionally done installation of a 3.2 six that had Webers on it in place of the original fuel injection that made around 245 hp. It was quite a handful, but well sorted out and really fun to drive.

Couldn't afford it, otherwise I wouldn't have been selling the 911.

Too bad, but you can't keep them all ! ! !

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Those were not exactly the conclusions drawn in the article... Nevertheless, I agree with your overall point. Comparing the FR-S to the Cayman is a desperate attempt to hype the FR-S. It's starting to turn me away from the car.

·
Registered
23,102 Posts
Those were not exactly the conclusions drawn in the article... Nevertheless, I agree with your overall point. Comparing the FR-S to the Cayman is a desperate attempt to hype the FR-S. It's starting to turn me away from the car.
I don't think there is a problem with the car, the problem is with the fan boys that are going to ruin this cars reputation.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts