MR2 SpyderChat banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
"I know that I'm re-inventing the wheel, because years ago Web3.0 came down from the mount with the Rotrex tablets, and thow [sic] shalt follow what Web said, or be subject to fatwas from his followers. Sigh. Whatever happened to "think different." "

This has to be one of the funniest things I've ever read with my name attached to it. :) Corky Bell and I had a discussion about this once. He showed me the math where a restrictor does in fact heat up the intake charge by a small amount. However, we also discussed where to put it and the agreement was at the Rotrex inlet. The aerodynamically designed restrictor helps smooth the flow and reduce both turbulence and vacuum.

On another note, of course your MAF readings will be smooth post rotrex and under boost. The problem isn't there, it is what you are creating at the SC. Now everything is relative. You might not be causing a huge problem by any means, but with the level of detail you have put everywhere else in this build I would recommend you reconsider what you have done there in the name of finesse.

Awesome work btw! I'm loving it from high on the mountain with tablets in hand :)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I would add only that change is good. Innovation is even better. However, some things come down to plain science. Hot side versus cold side, been there done that. In fact my original thought was the hot side to to ease of installation. If I remember right, what killed it was the cost of a custom header for my kit to keep my charge pipes a relatively safe distance away, as well as the need for heat shields. In the end, the cold side won out for optimal performance. Again, everything is relative and a few rwhp versus hundreds of dollars and ease of installation, not a bad idea with the right header.

On the washer restrictor though, there was a lot of unpublished work that proved where it worked best. Good Luck btw, I wish you the absolute best with this build and am here to help wherever I can.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Hey Bill thanks for the comments and let me add that I spent days if not weeks pouring over and studying your writings to gather clues about what to do - and also what not to do. You're a problem solver extraordinaire, and even if I don't choose the same solutions, your solutions are always useful and elucidative. This explains why others rely on you to do their thinking for them. A hefty responsibility. Seriously I haven't seen any innovation by anyone else with the Rotrex on this platform from the time that you delivered your solution.

Now for something else. For some reason, from the response that I get, this thread does not seem to convey adequately that, aside from fine tuning and occasional polishing the apple, this build is done. Of course with 20/20 hindsight there are some things that I might do differently, but I am quite certain that I have thoroughly and conclusively verified and validated all of my design decisions. Car has been running great for close to a year. I'm satisfied with the results, I met my initially stated goal of 200rwhp, and everything is in perfect order - for what it is, the car is perfect. I drive it regularly, it outshines anything else that I drive, and it is the envy of anyone that has rode in it or drove it. Rather than mess with perfection, I am leaving this car as is for my semi-daily driver (I have withdrawal pangs any day that I don't drive it) and I've undertaken other builds to explore other dimensions of performance. In particular I am intrigued by the possibilities of a roots style supercharger on a 2zz (my autoX car), and by the possibilities of larger displacement V6 in a lightweight mid-engine platform (my bragging rights car), so I'm pursuing both of these. After the final event of the autoX season this weekend I'll be moving into the implementation phase on the Eaton supercharger for my 2zz, and, as for the 2GR, it will be done when it's done, that has been one of these gut-wrenching builds where everything that can possibly go wrong does so spectacularly on every step of the way, I might re-name the car Murphy.

Anyway welcome back and I am genuinely looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Awesome Sauce

Well, I apologize. I didn't mean to say anything to cause you to accuse anyone of them letting me do their thinking for them. Personally, I'm a firm believer in the saying "there is more than one way to skin a cat". That said, "Good Enough" has always gone against my grain as I am a constant tinkerer. But hey, if we were all clones this would be a very boring world. I will say this. Imposing an artificial constraint on yourself, doesn't necessarily make the decisions on how you got there 100% efficient or optimal. Now they could, depending on how lofty you set your goal, but it could also mean you built something to the standard of "good enough". Like I said earlier, there is nothing wrong with that either. I guess all I really wanted to say after the joking about the tablet comment and now understanding your stance a little better is this. If you ever turn your attention back to your Rotrex and are looking to eek out every last bit of performance beyond your original design goal, I would recommend you start with your restrictor. Other than that, awesome numbers, kudos all over, and great work. Ultimately, I'm just glad to see someone having fun with their car!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm going to take out my 2 stroke leaf blower and blow the dust off this amazing thread by thanking Frank for sharing his creativity to the world. Can't wait to see the 2zz & 2GR projects to come.

I'm nearing the end of a 2zz Rotrex build incorporating many of the great ideas that have been perfected on Frank's 1zz Rotrex build. One of the striking differences in Frank's build compared to those who blazed down this path earlier is the location of the Rotrex to the 'hot side' of the engine. By doing it this way, you wind up with a very stout bracket thereby eliminating a few stability issues that may possibly effect the reliability of the delicate Rotrex head unit. Frank smartly went further to thermally wrap his header and all intercooler plumbing and has proven that IAT's are kept amazingly cool. Other advantages that I see is that you can bolt up your AC in the normal location. (BTW, no negative thoughts are directed to WEB3.0 or others who built their cars using his innovative & effective kit).

My build will follow Frank's path for the most part with minor differences here & there.

A big thank you to Frank for sharing his knowledge and responding to my PM's for guidance & experience!

81 - 86 of 86 Posts