MR2 SpyderChat banner

241 - 260 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
After a long break for the holiday season, I'm adding more videos to the series MR2 Spyder for Dummies. Here is the latest installment, "How to Remove the Fuel Injectors," just in time for Chinese New Year.

Gung hay fat choy!

I commented on that video on YouTube about you running 450 injectors. Why 450

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
I commented on that video on YouTube about you running 450 injectors. Why 450
I did reply to your comment on youtube. This car has a supercharger. It requires a higher fuel rate than the stock injectors can deliver.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Frank - any writeup on changing the oil gears?
I will put that on my list of to-do's and in fact I have an old set of camshafts with gears that I can use for demo purposes.

Meanwhile here is another new one on "How to Remove the Engine Mount."

·
Registered
866 Posts
Oh god, removing the alternator is TERRIBLE. Luckily my new one didn't have the extra mount for the upper brace bar so I didn't need to put the 'bitch bolt' way at the back on top back in - just the more easily accessed front bolts.

Note - this top brace with the extra mount bolts is for 2ZZ only, and most replacement alternators are 1zz/2zz compatible so don't have this extra mounting hole.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
This question comes up a lot. How to program a new key. Forget the pedal dance - leave the dancing to Patrick Swayze. Toyota nerds do it with Techstream. Strictly speaking this would almost never be required with a 2zz - the USDM and JDM 2zz ECU do not have an immobilizer. But it works with the 1zz and with nearly every other Toyota immobilizer ECU.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
Kicking off a new season of "MR2 Spyder for Dummies." This series is inspired by the classic college-cramming booklet series Math for Dummies, Economics for Dummies, Philosophy for Dummies, and so on. It is intended for those who are just getting into working on their cars. It covers basics with a few choice tips here and there. This new episode looks at the valve cover gasket. This is a wear item that requires periodic replacement - because eventually, they ALL leak. For the purpose of this video I used a FWD 1zz car. There are some slight differences to mid-engine Spyder - most viewers should be able to figure them out on their own. If not, you are REALLY out of your depth, stop what you're doing, take it to a mechanic. Ha ha.

Here is a link to the complete series playlist, with 23 videos so far - ranging from the sublime, to the ridiculous. Ha ha. Ha ha ha ha.

So far, this series has been well received - FRANKLY, I don't really know why. Ha ha. The production values are minimal, the direction is shit, the mise-en-scene is anything but inspirational, and let's not even comment about the performance. I admit my inspiration is from the classic experimental film "Eraserhead." Ha ha. But as long as the views and subscriptions and positive comments keep going up, I will keep it going. And... I do take requests. Also, I love negative comments too - replying gives me a completely justified opportunity to hurl choice insults at somebody. This can feel good. Ha ha ha ha ha.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
Season 2 Episode 2 or MR2 Spyder for Dummies - In the age of fake Louis Vutton handbags, fake Rolex watches, fake Carties jewelry, fake Modigliani paintings, and fake news, it's not surprising to find... fake Denso O2 sensors.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
Season 2 Episode 3 "Comparing the 2zz-ge and 1zz-fe Engines Side by Side - Sorta" posted yesterday. It goes over 10 external differences between the 2zz and 1zz - these include intake manifold, ignition coils, injectors, breather hoses and pcv, alternator, starter, crankcase breather, oil filter, throttle body, and intake. These features can help to answer the question "what engine do I have?" or "can I re-use this 1zz part on my 2zz" or "what is the correct part to use?" and so on.

In terms of YouTube viewing metrics, this video has received more interest in its first 24 hours than any other in the "MR2 Spyder for Dummies" series.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Which way does the air flow in the PCV hose? Which way does air flow in the crankcase breather hose? Is the 1zz PCV different from the 2zz? Find out in Season 2 Episode 4 of "MR2 Spyder for Dummies.".

·
Registered
899 Posts
Which way does the air flow in the PCV hose? Which way does air flow in the crankcase breather hose? Is the 1zz PCV different from the 2zz? Find out in Season 2 Episode 4 of "MR2 Spyder for Dummies.".

Note the comments; the air flow direction in the breather hose goes the other way at high power levels

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
Season 2 Episode 5 could be titled "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About The 2zz Swap, But Were Afraid to Ask..." but instead it has a more pedestrian (and YouTube-friendly) title "Engine Swap Checklist." This covers in detail every item needed for swapping a 2zz-ge engine and C60 6-speed transaxle into a Toyota MR2 Spyder ZZW30 with a 1zz-fe original engine and C56 5-speed trans.

The video is in three parts: 1. Engine, 2. Transmission, and 3. Engine harness and computer.
1. Engine: Engine mount adapter, oil dipstick tube, heater core block off, vacuum nipple block off, power steering delete pulley, alternator, air intake and mass air flow sensor, fuel rail, exhaust header, evaporative emissions vent solenoid and purge solenoid.

2. Transaxle: Three mounting brackets, clutch slave cylinder, shift linkages, bell-crank, and counterweight, shift cable mounting brackets, reverse light sensor, gear selection shaft, reverse block--out, clutch plate and disk, flywheel, ARP bolts.

3. Harness and ECU/ECM: 1zz engine harness, lift solenoid/OCV pigtail, lift pressure sensor pigtail, modified TPS/throttle position sensor connector, USDM computer engine control module 89666-20080, 89666-20081, 89666-20082, or 89666-20083.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
Season 2 Episode 6 - How To Remove The Rear Control Arm.

The rear control arm sets the toe alignment for the rear wheel and it is crucially important for the directional stability of the car. This video shows how to remove the rear control arm from its outboard mounting point on the rear knuckle and its inboard mounting point on the rear cross-member. The ball joint can be removed using either a Pitman arm puller, or a ball-joint removal tool.This is preferable to hitting the ball joint with a hammer, which can damage it, or using a pickle fork, which can rip the grease boot. With a ball joint removal tool, the tie rod comes right out of the knuckle, without any effort at all. The rear control arm is mounted to the cross-member with a special cam joint that can be adjusted to set the toe of the wheel.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
Season 2 Episode 6 - The LImited Slip Differential (LSD) and the Open Differential for the C-series compared side by side. Toyota offered an optional helical/Torsen limited slip differential compatible with all C-series five-speed and six-speed transmissions (this includes C56 from Spyder, C52 from Scion xb, C50 from AW11, C60 from Celica/Corolla/Matrix, C63, C64 from Elise, C65 from Spyder SMT, C66) - and it's also compatible with the S51 and S54 five-speed found in Camry, SW20 and others . In this episode the LSD and open diff are compared side by side. Find out the only sure-fire way to tell if your transmission has an LSD.

241 - 260 of 261 Posts