MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tossing around the idea of using a free-air 10" subwoofer to keep from building a box with an odd shape and potentially rubbing the ragtop when it is down. Has anyone tried one of these. If so, what is your thoughts on the sound quality? I know it will never be sealed box performance, but I can live with that if the sound is decent. Sure would make for a much simpler install.

I have already built the cover panel to replace the rear storage doors and working on recessing the amp into the cover panel. That will leave about 1.3 cubic feet of loose enclosure that the speaker will be hanging in. A little smaller enclosure and a little tighter when the top is down.

On the cheap end I am looking at the Kicker 10C104 and higher end the Infinity 100.9w Kappa.

Any advice from the audiophiles?

·
Registered
23 Posts
im thinking of doing the same but reinforce the storage doors with mdf through out the backside. Post some pics of your panel....maybe ill copy you ;)
I am tossing around the idea of using a free-air 10" subwoofer to keep from building a box with an odd shape and potentially rubbing the ragtop when it is down. Has anyone tried one of these. If so, what is your thoughts on the sound quality? I know it will never be sealed box performance, but I can live with that if the sound is decent. Sure would make for a much simpler install.

I have already built the cover panel to replace the rear storage doors and working on recessing the amp into the cover panel. That will leave about 1.3 cubic feet of loose enclosure that the speaker will be hanging in. A little smaller enclosure and a little tighter when the top is down.

On the cheap end I am looking at the Kicker 10C104 and higher end the Infinity 100.9w Kappa.

Any advice from the audiophiles?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
700 Posts
I actually had two 10's in the bin doors (car came with them already installed). No reinforcement in the doors are anything. Sounded like CRAP! So I built a little box for just ONE of them and it sounds soo much better. Needles to say, the bin doors were ruined:(

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going to modify a set of rear doors to keep some storage, so I bought a set so as to keep my orginials. I have the extra set available. Only issue with them is the drivers side door has the hinge cracked about 4 or 5 inches from the center. Still operated good in the car I pulled it from.

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sounds good. do you mind putting up a pic of the overall install. I would really like to see this as im ready to do the install.
All of the pics are in the link you quoted. Just click on it and scroll down that page.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so do you have any issues with rattles? btw it looks really good.
No rattles and sounds really good. I am very happy with it for the time, ease of installation and the money I have in it. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts