MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i use to have a miata with full on suspension but not a coilover suspension. I had all Flyin Miata which consisted of springs which were double the spring rate of stock and tokico illuminas adjustable shocks with front and rear sways. I feel the miata was a great car but i feel the spyders chassis is just better and stiffer. So now im looking to upgrade my spyders suspension. Im looking for something similar to what i had in the miata. What are stock spring rates for my 2001 mr2? What is a good performance spring thats not going to beat up my passengers and whats available in the shock dept? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
501 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'd like to add that bracing seems to work wonders on these cars
http://www.corkyandcompany.net/index.php
lots of people run "che" bracing too, I'm using his front under brace and it helped make the front end feel a lot more square.
I'll also add that the 1'' front sway bar from addco made a considerable difference for me, on my tien springs. It can be found at twos are us
http://twosrus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_50&products_id=432
I'd also recommend using the "beefy endliks" they sell.
On a side note... as with any car, tires (and correct staggering for some) can make or ruin this car.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
then add Front under brace (only for 00-03) 04+ has this covered
Interesting. I thought it was "03+ has this covered"? If not then I am in the market for a front under brace...

Aside:
I also really liked the addition of strut tower bars, in addition to the above discussed bracing.
I am willing to bet that some Spyders have less mileage on the chassis and benefit less than I did...

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
From your Flyin Miata experience with the Miata, you'll probably appreciate the value of a well-engineered, comprehensive suspension package (i.e., shocks/springs/sways) and how each of those complements the other. With the Spyder, the only similar packaged suspension is the Sportivo. And much like the Miata Forum, you'll get lots of "opinions" from guys, but some are very worthwhile, and some are worthless. You'll have to judge for yourself.
Whatever you end up doing suspension-wise (and wheels/tires), chassis bracing will be the key to making the most of it and T-Bone gave some good advice. And if you want to pop for the Sportivo, try this-
http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=2&car=13&middle=3&small=9
You'd have to buy the springs and struts separately, and then I would go with Whiteline Sway Bars (http://www.whiteline.com.au/index.php)(http://www.andysautosport.com/toyota/2000_2005_mrs_spyder/suspension/sway_bars/whiteline/)
Maybe not the hot setup for competition, but hard to top for the street and a dd.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well with the miata forum there was some pretty good advice as far as whats actually proven good and i especially liked how spring rate numbers where important info to at the start of any upgrade...anyways so i know about all the bracing stuff which i will be doing for sure. Can never have enough bracing but who makes a decent strut for our car and a decent spring? I tried looking up sportivo and nothing.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Holy crap

looking at the sportive stabilizer set which looks to include sways springs and struts it is now listed as 53,120 yen which by my inter web math is like $660!!. if shipping doubled that only 1200 bucks -way cheaper than I would have thought
Based on the description, I have to guess that's just the swaybars.

From what I can see, it looks like ~$1800 for shocks, springs, sways +shipping.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
How is the quality of the CHE stuff? The swaybars are priced almost too low.
Che strut bars gave great improvement over bone stock (the rear strut bar enhances, not replaces, the OEM bar).

Sway bars did also, but there are much thicker options out there (if you really want more up front).

Depends on your goals. I am street only.

·
Registered
26,913 Posts
Only the front STB matters and even that one does not matter much. Rear STBs are a waste of money on this car. TRD makes the best front STB. Speaking of TRD, they make the best short shifter kit, too.

Che's products are so-so. They are very inexpensive made in China kind of stuff and you get what you pay for. I'd get a Che header, though, because there are some "copy of a copy" type headers out there on eBay that are actually worse. The main reason to buy a header is that it eliminates the precats - you will definitely want to do that!

Corky (CeeDapp) makes really great braces.

A good set of properly sized / staggered high performance tires does wonders.

Read the stickies in each forum.

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
The ride comfort in a Miata is much more sensitive to spring rate because the shock travel in the rear is very small. I have seen 2-3 inches on some coilovers. A lot easier to bottom out the rear. The Miata is a much rougher ride with stiff spring rates.

On the spyder you can increase the spring rates quite a bit and still have an acceptable ride. The OEM are somewhere around 1-2kg and most coilovers on the market 3kg-8kg. That's quite a large increase.

The OEM spyder springs are very soft. Most of the roll resistance is from the swaybars. Even the Sportivo kit spring rates are too soft. The swaybars are what makes the difference.

I think for the price the sportive kit is over rated in performance improvement.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Springs and shock aftermarket isn't that great for the MR2. There's a few springs (Eibach, Tein, H&R) which are essentially the same spring rates, and the only strut replacement I know of are Koni yellow inserts. It'll probably cost between $500 and $600 for something like that.

You're better off saving a little and opting for a full coilover replacement. If you get the springs stiff enough you won't have to worry about upgrading sways. Silversprint is offering a GB for some Powertrix coilovers with custom spring rates. You can find the thread in the sales forum. I'm running them now and they're the bee's knees.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So what your saying is if i go with a wider tire i should still stick with a staggered fitment? What happens if i dont? also how is the suspension travel on a spyder? I remember my first set up in the miata was horrible due to being way to low in the rear meaning to rear travel what so ever. Are spyders sensitive to being lowered? oh and BTW, i already gutted them and lucky for me and the car, they were fully intact. My car only has 52k miles on it. The goal with this car is for it to be an everyday car that i can take to the autox every now and then. Thats what i did with the miata.
Only the front STB matters and even that one does not matter much. Rear STBs are a waste of money on this car. TRD makes the best front STB. Speaking of TRD, they make the best short shifter kit, too.

Che's products are so-so. They are very inexpensive made in China kind of stuff and you get what you pay for. I'd get a Che header, though, because there are some "copy of a copy" type headers out there on eBay that are actually worse. The main reason to buy a header is that it eliminates the precats - you will definitely want to do that!

Corky (CeeDapp) makes really great braces.

A good set of properly sized / staggered high performance tires does wonders.

Read the stickies in each forum.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts