MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my car to Firestone for an alignment check this weekend and was delighted to be summoned by the manager to inform me that one of the staff had backed another car into my Spyder while shuffling the vehicles between ramps. The result is damaged paintwork and 2 dents in the bumper, as shown below.

I'm bringing it to them today so that they can arrange for it to be repaired through their insurance company and I was curious as to what you think the repair job will be. Will the bumper be replaced completely or will they fill and respray? It looks like the bumper has been moved around too, as there is a gap that has appeared between the bumper and the bottom of the left headlight that didn't exist before (just out of this shot).

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree with replacing it. Body work is very expensive and time consuming. Then paint matching...

That's completely bogus that happened though. Ugh! Makes me mad...

·
Registered
627 Posts
I think they will replace the bumper with a new one. I think it costs around the same as an 03+ bumper around $150

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Took my car to Firestone for an alignment check this weekend and was delighted to be summoned by the manager to inform me that one of the staff had backed another car into my Spyder while shuffling the vehicles between ramps. The result is damaged paintwork and 2 dents in the bumper, as shown below.

I'm bringing it to them today so that they can arrange for it to be repaired through their insurance company and I was curious as to what you think the repair job will be. Will the bumper be replaced completely or will they fill and respray? It looks like the bumper has been moved around too, as there is a gap that has appeared between the bumper and the bottom of the left headlight that didn't exist before (just out of this shot).

Thanks for any advice.

if you can, try to work it out so that you can have it repaired at the body shop of your choice... i am always a bit hesitant as some of the dodgy jobs some shops do out there..

i can easily see someone trying to bondo that and then respraying the bumper...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems to all been going through Firestone's claims department. The manager initially tried to get it done locally, but I'd rather it went through a certified body shop.

Surely a bumper is more than $150?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
If you want a unique aftermarket bumper, they'd probably put that on for you, to save costs... But aftermarket requires massaging to fit well.

·
Registered
627 Posts
It seems to all been going through Firestone's claims department. The manager initially tried to get it done locally, but I'd rather it went through a certified body shop.

Surely a bumper is more than $150?
I got the 03+ bumper from the dealer for less than 160. The parts guy hooked it up.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They asked me to go to a bodyshop of my choice and ask them to send them an estimate for approval before taking it in. Sounds good as I know of a bodyshop that has done great work on our other car...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got the car back and the bumper looks awesome - 11 years of road rash deleted! They ended up repairing the bumper cover and they also had to replace the metal beam behind the cover.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.