MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my fiberglass front bumper did a head on collision with a tire on the freeway at 70 mph. It Cracked my passenger headlight, disintegrated over a foot worth of fiberglass, and created tons of cracks. On top of that, my dog decided to make my bumper a chew toy and broke off my bumper to fender mounting holes! I tried contacting BRS, but I believe they are out of business so no luck buying a new replacement. Most body shop refused to work on it because not too many deal with fiberglass, and no one wants to even touch this. So the spyder ran naked for the past 2 months. Today, I finally got off my lazy bums and tackled what I thought was impossible.

What I started out with. Note the outer edges where my dog chewed off.

6 hours later. Getting close. The structure is back, but the hardest part is yet to come.

Molded a new edge to drill mounting holes

8 hours later. It took forever to sand down the fiberglass resin and patch up all the holes and scratches.

I couldn't believe that I did this since this is the second time I work with fiberglass resin. Next step is repainting the bumper and rest of car with metallic Candy Apple red. Can't wait for the car to be whole again :wub:

·
Registered
781 Posts
Nice job! It is amazing what one can do when they do their homework but more importantly aren't afraid to try to do something themselves!

·
Registered
663 Posts
you did a very good job. i hope i can get those results with my fiberglass el creation replica bumper. mine are only minor cracks though compared to that. so working with fiberglass wasnt that bad?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Looks real good, working with fiberglass isn't that hard but very time consuming if you want a nice finish. You really took the time and effort to make it look great.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you did a very good job. i hope i can get those results with my fiberglass el creation replica bumper. mine are only minor cracks though compared to that. so working with fiberglass wasnt that bad?
It's not hard, just really messy. If you're sanding a flat surface, an orbital palm sander with 80 grits will really make it easy. I put tons of fiberglass on the backside of the bumper to build structural support, and in the front only a small amount to make it easier to sand down. Bondo Glass is what I used to fill in holes and smooth out the curves. Don't use the regular bondo body filler, it will chip right off when there is an impact.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Fiberglass is not that difficult to work with and you can really do some great things with it. Looks like you have done a pretty good job of repair work. Well done!

·
Registered
42 Posts
My bumper is pretty jacked and will be doing something very similar to this. How did you make the tab for the screw holes? Lot of the ones on my MR2 are too large and some are half gone aka won't hold in place. Did you just fiberglass it as well or did you use something else?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.