MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See #6 in the diagram.

I received the air dams and the two screws that belong to it; however, the screws do not thread to the fender liner. Is there supposed to be clips in the liner, sort of like how no. 7 secures the front pumper? I'd appreciate anyone with knowledge helping out.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sheet metal clips do not appear on the diagram. Can anyone supply a photo of one? Maybe I can find something like it at the hardware store.

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
182 Posts
Cyclehead is exactly right.

You are in luck as I'm in a bit of a Face-Off situation:

(Click above picture for further explanation...)

Joking aside, here are the clips from above and below:

IMG_0072.jpg

ABOVE

IMG_0073.jpg

BELOW

The not so good news is that I'm having trouble tracking down the part

I do not believe it is 53879A... very strange indeed!

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, 53879A isn't the part number. I bet that flat piece is considered to be part of the fender. What a weird design decision. Unfortunately, I lack the hand tools to recreate it. Seems like it would be easy to make if one had the right tools.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm just going to use a different bolt, and a locking nut. Fabricating a tab would require me to get inside the fender anyway, and it's not the kind of part I'm going to be taking on and off regularly.

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
182 Posts
That was my thought as well; That it was included in the inner fender fairing / plastic assembly (53876A).

You might post what ends up working out for people that stumble across the same problem.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
182 Posts
Thank you for doing that. What a ridiculous solution to fastening these things to the fender liner.
I was surprised it wasn't included in the assembly (53851c) and even more surprised the clips and tabs weren't shown on the parts diagram.

I threw a tape measure and the dimensions of the tab: 3"L x 1.00"W

I was thinking 16-20 gauge galvanized sheet metal and tin snips would do the job.

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
182 Posts
I just bought a replacement clip for my '03 last week from Kearny Mesa Toyota in San Diego. Part #90183-06065
Nice find! That is not an easy part number to track down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts