MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I was wondering if anybody had their stock front sway bar off the car and could take some pictures of it for me and measure the width of the bar from the outside of one of the mounting points before the curve for the arm to the other. I was able to measure the distance from the beginning of the curve to the end of the arm where it connects to the endlink.

This may seem a bit of an odd request, but I'm looking into making a nextel cup style front sway bar and want to know how wide of a bar i'll need, as well as how long the arms will need to be to bend them to connect properly. I want to actually know the equivalent spring rate of the sway bar and have the ability to change the rate easily (by moving to a different bar of the same length with different side wall thicknesses or by changing the endlink location. Looks like some of the 1-1/4" bars they sell can go from ~300 to around 600 lbs just by changing arm length... Could be a fun project and make fine tuning the car a bit easier... If there wasn't that annoying bend this would be really simple to do.

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
I'll see if I still have one when I get home today. At one time I had 3 of these in my shed.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I don't understand what you want measured

A, B, or C. Or do you want the distance between the endlinks (which you don't have to remove the bar to do, you just measure the endlinks. They are perpendicular). IMO, you are going to have to remove the bar to measure clearances anyways but I already have measurements when calculating the rates.

Why not just use a blade type adjuster to change the swaybar rate.

Pictures are from MWR

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
B is the length i'm looking for. cant get it right on the car. I know i'll have to take it off while making the bar, but just wanted to know measurements before ordering parts. not sure if i'll go with it or not.

·
Registered
960 Posts
The length of the center section is 35in

The rates I have are

Front swaybar rate:
Is the front bar 19mm or 20mm? I forgot, but:
19mm = 127lb/in swaybar rate; 86lb/in wheel rate in roll
20mm = 156lb/in swaybar rate; 105lb/in wheel rate in roll

The Che Front bar is 22mm
230lb/in swaybar rate; 154lb/in wheel rate in roll

Rear stock is 15mm
43lb/in swaybar rate; 77lb/in wheel rate in roll

The front swaybar has low wheel rates because of the low motion ratio

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
awesome thank you.
I think i'll try to build one using the .120" wall, then I could make it the same rate as the Che, or stiffer, and just swap to a thicker walled bar if I really wanted something crazy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts