MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Is it possible to disconnect the front sway bar and pull it through without removing anything else? I managed to snap the head off one of the the mounting bolts on the drivers side (top one of course) and am just exploring options. Doesn't look like it will pull through but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I pulled a bar off a parts car without taking anything else off I think. You might have to do some clever stuff like turning the wheels one direction then back the other to sneak it out. I'm going to attempt to change out the front bar on my car soon, planning to try to keep it all together.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the hints - I'll give it a shot this weekend if I can't get the bar moved out of the way enough to extract the bolt. It's a crazy tight spot so I'm still thinking about how to approach it...

·
Registered
169 Posts
When I was replacing my sway bars, I had car lifted on 3 ton jackstands (have them for 4runner). That way there is plenty of space if you dont mind climbing under the car. Make sure you properly place them on jackstands and support it with jack just in case before going under there. Oh and put brick behond rear tire so it doesnt roll

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses. I was able to use a mini right angle die grinder to remove the welded on nut and didn't need to remove the sway bar. It was an unpleasant 40 minutes but it worked, and I'm back on the road!

·
Registered
658 Posts
I guess I'm too late to help you but the best way to remove the front sway bar is from the top. Just remove the spare tire and the tub it goes in and the bar will come out, just have to slide it back and forth a little.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I broke a bolt head off doing a sway bar change yesterday. It turned an hour project into a few hours. I attempted to extract the broken bolt from the weld-nut but gave up in the end. I just knocked the weld nut off the back of the chassis mount and put a regular nut behind it. I'm starting to notice the quality of fastener that Toyota uses is extremely low. It's GM level low quality. The bolts and weld nuts are extremely soft and cross thread easily. This is my first major Toyota project car and so far I'm pretty disappointed by this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts