MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
$30 including shipping in USA.

Some guys on Facebook wanted replacement straps to cure the “ears” that stick up when you fold the top, so I made a little batch using nylon strap, Velcro and snaps.

Frequently the straps are missing. I think replacement tops fail to include them when you buy a new top.

I installed one on my EZ-On replacement top, and the factory strap length was a little too tight. So I made these replacements with a length adjustment allowing you to fine tune the length!
I also added some Velcro flaps at each end to help prevent snagging and help the snaps stay closed.

I wrote up some instructions to help you get the strap length adjusted.

MR2 Spyder - Convertible top strap to prevent “ears”

I can make these up fairly quickly.
Send me a message if you’d like one.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I just sent you an email asking how much. Then I read the very first line of this message.

Take my email as a statement rather than a question, one that means "I want one" instead of "how much are they"

Paypal coming your way

·
Registered
Spectra Blue 2003 SMT with Quaife LSD
262 Posts
More interest than I expected for these. I will make up another batch this week and get in touch with everyone about payment. (I don't take payment until I can ship)
Awesome! PM sent, thanks for making these!

·
Registered
2001 MR2 Spyder
142 Posts
I franticly went home after seeing this thread and scissored my top down to peek inside. My "new" (2019 Robbins Vinyl) top has the straps, but do not wrap the frame as the guide shows to tuck the ears in during the folding action meaning even the professionals miss this part.

The guide is really helpful to anyone rescuing a spyder. Between the springs, cables, gutters, slides I definitely took for granted the softtop assemblage.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I franticly went home after seeing this thread and scissored my top down to peek inside. My "new" (2019 Robbins Vinyl) top has the straps, but do not wrap the frame as the guide shows to tuck the ears in during the folding action meaning even the professionals miss this part.

The guide is really helpful to anyone rescuing a spyder. Between the springs, cables, gutters, slides I definitely took for granted the softtop assemblage.
Glad the installation tips helped. It surely doesn't look right, to thread the straps around the frames...but it works!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts