MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a black 2002 SMT spyder with 84,000 miles. Pre-cats have been replaced before any issues came up. Heat and A/C work great. Tan leather interior. Pirelli tires with over 50% thread left. The car has been acting up (when i press the gas pedel nothing will happen) for a couple months now. When the problem first started, I would just pull over and turn the car off for a minute, the try it again and most of the time it would work. Now when I turn the car on, it will only start for a few seconds, then shut off. The gear light and engine light are on and the codes are P0100 P0110 P1646 P1647. I am a college student with little time and money to spare so im asking $4000 but will consider other offers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Is the car titled in Oklahoma?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
FWIW, those first two codes signal a bad MAF sensor. The first is for the Air Flow Meter itself, the Second is for a bad Intake Air Temp sensor, which is built into the maf.

The second two codes are for Transmission ECU Malfunction, and for CAN communication error. If you look through the troubleshooting information, it recommends replacing the TCU under almost every circumstance. Depending on the build month, the 2002 AND 2003 Transmission control units were not good, and toyota addressed it with a TSB (TC003-03).

There's a good chance that $1000 or so could fix this car. Whether it be fixing the SMT or losing the "S."

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
FWIW, those first two codes signal a bad MAF sensor. The first is for the Air Flow Meter itself, the Second is for a bad Intake Air Temp sensor, which is built into the maf.

The second two codes are for Transmission ECU Malfunction, and for CAN communication error. If you look through the troubleshooting information, it recommends replacing the TCU under almost every circumstance. Depending on the build month, the 2002 AND 2003 Transmission control units were not good, and toyota addressed it with a TSB (TC003-03).

There's a good chance that $1000 or so could fix this car. Whether it be fixing the SMT or losing the "S."
There's a good chance 70 bucks will fix the car, if the MAF is bad the APS will start acting funny and show up as a SMT error.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.