Mileage: 51,600
Tranny: 5 speed manual
Accidents: None, all original body panels/matching VINs
Title: Clean and in-hand
# of owners: 3
VIN# JTDFR320230059263
Price: SOLD

History
I bought this car in February 2017 from a preacher in Georgia. He had the car for quite a few years but was getting ready to retire and travel with his wife. He was the second owner, and always kept it in his garage and took very nice care of it. The car is very tight and clean overall. Except for the wheels and tires, it is 100% stock and has never been modified. The Carfax was clean when I ran it (I'll post pics of that later), and it's had a cushy life during my ownership. I’ve only driven it about 1,000 miles on weekends since I own seven cars.

Engine/Tranny
The check engine light came on early this year due to a faulty O2 sensor, which I replaced and it subsequently passed inspection (I replaced both O2 sensors as preventative maintenance at the time). When I changed the O2 sensors, I checked the pre-cat substrate, and it looked perfect on both sides...no crumbling or issues. I had been planning to swap out the stock exhaust manifold with a gutted one, which I have, and it will be included in the sale. That was the only hiccup I've had during my ownership. The engine pulls smoothly, and the tranny shifts perfectly. Absolutely zero issues...no grinds, odd noises, etc. The car pulls hard and is one of my favorites for running short errands or zipping through twisty back roads, as it has more usable torque than an early Miata, S2000, etc.

Exterior/Soft Top
Overall, I’d call the paint 7 out of 10. There are two or three small dings on the car, and a little clouding of the clear coat on the rear engine lid (which I couldn't capture well in pics). The paint on the rear bumper has always looked a little funky to me when I’ve evaluated it closely. I can’t tell if it was possibly resprayed, or if it is just heat-checked (I haven’t seen enough others to know for sure). These cars have a ton of heat on the ass-end, and the paint on the rear bumper and rear engine lid seem suffer from it.

There is one small separation in the soft top above where the back window attaches (this seems to be an extremely common issue based on my research). I haven't tried to mess with it, and I'll try to get a picture of it. Otherwise it goes up and down smoothly, latches properly, and doesn’t leak a drop.

Interior
I’d call the interior 8 out of 10. The driver side seat bolster has a little wear, which you can see in the pics. There is one small scratch on the passenger side dash. The HVAC control knob that diverts airflow from the dash, to feet, to defrost is a little finicky, and this was mentioned to me by the previous owner. My research indicates that this may be an issue with the HVAC cables getting snagged. I haven’t had time to mess with them, so I haven’t moved the switch since I was afraid of breaking something. Everything else works as intended, and the AC blows ice cold. Carpets are clean and are covered by the OEM floor mats. The spare tire is included, as is the OEM tool kit behind the passenger seat.

Wheels/Tires
The wheels currently on the car were manufactured locally by American Eagle Wheels in South Carolina. They are the MSR series 0133, 16x7 | 4x100mm/4x4.25" | +35mm/5.316" BSM. They are silver with a machined flange. I'll get the tire brand and size and post later today or tomorrow. The wheels and tires are like new, and only have 1,000 miles on them. No scratches, dings, curbing, cuts, etc. I also have a fifth wheel brand new in the box that will be included. I bought it so I would have a spare in case one of the wheels was ever damaged. I did a lot of fitment research before purchase and wanted something that pushed out right to the edge of the fenders without the car looking like a roller skate. I think they dramatically improve the look of the car. The car will also come with the OEM wheels and tires. The OEM wheels are in great condition, and the tires on them have lots of usable life remaining.

Extras
OEM wheels with good tires
Extra exhaust manifold with gutted pre-cat
Covercraft Noah car cover ($200 new).
Fifth extra aftermarket wheel new in box

Why I’m selling
As noted above, I have way too many cars so I’m reducing my fleet. I have two young daughters at home who are into everything, and my work is incredibly busy. I just don’t have as much time these days to play cars! FYI....I am also putting my one owner, pristine 2001 Emerald Green Mica /Tan Mazda Miata LS up for sale if anyone is interested (58k miles). It will probably be priced similarly to this one.

Overall, my Spyder is in rare condition vs. others I've seen. I get compliments on it everywhere I go. At a recent tennis tournament, a hot younger girl came up to me and said, "I just want you to know that chicks definitely dig your car,” which I thoroughly enjoyed. �� This car has been owned by adults, has led an easy life, and has been nicely maintained. I shopped around for quite a while before I bought it, and it was the nicest I could find within any reasonable distance of my home. I'm asking $8500, which seems to be a very solid deal for a clean '03 with mileage this low and a $1,000 set of extra wheels/tires. From what I’ve seen, people are asking $5-$7k for examples that aren’t nearly as nice with 100k+ miles. Pristine examples are selling on BAT for up to $12-$14k, but obviously that is the price ceiling.

I am not interested in any trades, so please don’t ask. I’m located fairly close to the Charlotte, NC airport, and I can pick you up if you’d like to fly in and drive home. All transactions will be conducted at my bank with a notarized bill of sale. If you have questions, the best way to reach me is via my cell at seven zero four six seven four seven eight five three.

Also of note, I’ve been working in the automotive aftermarket for 15 years, and I have an impeccable reputation as an honest guy. The cars I own are very nice, and I fully disclose everything I know about them. You can see my professional profile here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to post these pics that I thought people would enjoy. Here's a comparative shot of my '03 Spyder next to my 1991 Miata that I recently sold. It's amazing that they weigh almost exactly the same. The higher sides on the Spyder make it look so much bigger!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Looks like an awesome car and a great deal for the shape it's in. You seem like a very honest guy and someone who's easy to work with. I'm sure you'll get this off your hands in no time.

Sent from my MHA-AL00 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
A good buy

Mine is almost identical in every respect, bought with 52,100 on the clock, red, leather, 5sp and a small tear above the back window but not visible and another small vertical split behind on passenger side. Mine was bought in AZ and I paid $10K in 2014. I added cyclehead's armrest and Corky's breastplate, both recommended.
I'm happy with my deal so I think anyone looking for a clean Spyder should grab this one.
Like the wheels better than stock, too.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Higher window sill

than the Miata makes it look bigger. True, dat. I would add that after driving both, the Spyder definitely has more shoulder2shoulder room.
Besides, Miatas are a dime a dozen and in my neck of the woods Spydies turn heads.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the kind words gents!

The sale of this car is now on hold!
I talked to my wife during lunch, and she decided that she'd rather keep the Spyder than both of my Miatas. Therefore, I'll be selling my 2001 Miata LS (emerald green/tan) and my 1992 Mariner Blue Miata. Thanks for understanding!

·
Registered
639 Posts

I talked to my wife during lunch, and she decided that she'd rather keep the Spyder than both of my Miatas. Therefore, I'll be selling my 2001 Miata LS (emerald green/tan) and my 1992 Mariner Blue Miata. Thanks for understanding!
You've a very smart wife, she's a keeper! As well as the spyder.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

Smart woman. My wife loves her Spyder, and really dislikes Miatas.

Your green Miata looks very nice

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We've decided to sell it after all! We've had a super busy weekend, and it's only have over. I just have too many cars to take care of. Someone come please grab this beauty before I change my mind again!
:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Price Drop...car still available gents. Also, I'll sell the car for less if I pull the aftermarket wheels and sell them separately. I have the stock wheels with nice tires in great condition. Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts