MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Very low miles 2003 MR2 Spyder in Spectra Blue. 5 speed transmission, leather seats. TRD cross bracing in front and rear and TRD front skirt / air dam. Techno Pro Spirit roll bar with cover. Very clean. The car has an Alpine aftermarket head unit installed but I also have the original head unit if desired.

See this link for more photos:

http://photobucket.com/bluebomber
Password is 'bluebomber'

I am the second owner. The car is garaged in Cincinnati; it previously lived in West Virginia where it had a very quiet low mileage life, garaged for much of the time because the owner was on active duty with the W. Va. National Guard.

I don't have garage space at home for the car now that my son has his own car to drive, so the 'toy car' is at a bit of a loose end and has to be stored near my office. I have a decent storage spot, which I photographed for the album, just to show how it will be kept as long as I own it. I can drive it lunchtimes to keep it running and have some entertainment from it, but if I can get a price that reflects the value and uniqueness of this low low miles / upgraded car, I would be happy to move it on to a new owner who can make better use of it.

The previous owner had the roll bar, TRD bracing and front skirt installed, and also had the rear cat removed. I have a generic invoice for $6000 of work done on the car from a performance shop in Huntington WV which presumably was for all of those bits and pieces. The photos show it all.

The rear cat removal appears to be a source of controversy -- presumably it was done to reduce back pressure and because the conventional wisdom appears to be the rear cat doesn't do much in terms of emissions or fuel adjustment. The car does not throw codes or have other issues, at least not while I've been running it - for what it is worth, the rear oxygen sensor is coupled to the pipe where the cat used to be and does gather data for the ECU from back there. Everything appears to be perfectly happy when the car is driven, started, etc.

When I obtained the car I didn't realize it was supposed to have a rear cat, so I didn't ask any questions about that change. It came to my attention because I realized after some driving there was a small exhaust leak. As it turned out, the wrong seal had been used at the straight pipe / muffler junction. When I checked into the exhaust leak I figured out that the rear cat that the car is supposed to have was not there - it had been replaced by the original owner. I sorted out the sealing problem, and while the exhaust was disassembled inspected the front cats; they are in perfect condition.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I would be happy to pull OBD data for the car for the benefit of a serious buyer to show what, if any, effect there is from the removed rear cat. I don't sense it causes any problem nor should it according to conventional wisdom I have read that says the rear cat does not really do anything after the exhaust has passed through the front cats.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Really, I don't know what I was thinking posting a 9 year old car for sale on this forum. I'm sure all of the cars sold here are much newer. I would delete the whole thread if I knew how.
Nice attitude for someone trying to sell their nine year old car for approx. $2000 over KBB excellent price rating, not to mention the ILLEGAL for street use catalytic converter removal. Good luck, your going to need it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have gone back to the original post and inserted a photo link and some discussion of the cat issue. I apologize to anyone I frustrated by not having photos at the outset.

I am looking for a price that reflects the many added modifications which are not easily obtainable any longer such as the color matched skirts, the Japan-sourced roll bar, and of course the bracing etc. I assume on this board there will be a shopper looking for those sorts of enhancements. I am not in a rush.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
I don't get why we gave this guy a hard time? I noticed a lack of pictures, but not everyone is a pro at such things. Should have given him a little time to post some up. On the other hand, the seller did leave pretty quickly...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hopefully I have answered the various questions that have been raised by my various edits and corrections to my posts. Thanks everyone for looking!

·
Registered
731 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Pretty car! It's also the best color(though I'm a little biased). GLWS. ^_^

1 - 20 of 28 Posts