MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
The bad:
Top doesn't look the prettiest, has a bad title, has been repainted, wheels have been stripped of paint, interior is minus the carpet, and most of the plastics have been removed. But, everything that I have done has been because I like it like that, or for a purpose. I still have all the parts that I have removed. I have all the plastics, the radio, an additional speedometer, stock speakers. Hell, anything I removed from the car,
you are defiantly steep on the price being that the things you mentioned above. glance around at other ads and prices of mr2's for sale and you will know what i am talking about

and bad title? salvage, rebuilt what exactly?

pics of the damage interior top etc

maybe history of the car and why its salvage

and did you look at your kbb on the car? fair condition is 9k that does not include bad title stripped interior stripped paint on the wheels or bad top which is a pretty penny these days so keep that in mind

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
you are defiantly steep on the price being that the things you mentioned above. glance around at other ads and prices of mr2's for sale and you will know what i am talking about

and bad title? salvage, rebuilt what exactly?

pics of the damage interior top etc

maybe history of the car and why its salvage

and did you look at your kbb on the car? fair condition is 9k that does not include bad title stripped interior stripped paint on the wheels or bad top which is a pretty penny these days so keep that in mind
I hear your logic, and counter it with: I can only move so much for it, since I bought it from a dealer. Realistically, I don't need to sell it, it would just make my life easier if I didn't have 2 cars.

As for the title, it was branded a total loss on carfax, but I can't find out why, since Progressive won't release any information to me. Believe me, I tried. And There is no real damage. It looks like the car was sideswiped or something, but it has all been repaired. I didn't run a carfax when I bought the car, so I didn't know. I have the carfax from before, for anyone interested.

Edit: Removed since no longer applicable

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
A stripped and gutted car with a bad title? Dude - you're looking at $6000 max, on a good day, with a drunk buyer.

I can only move so much for it
This has nothing to do with your financial interest in the vehicle. It has been stripped and gutted. It looks uncared for. And the top requires replacement, which is around $1800 or so. To get your target price, you would have to put on a new top, get and install the interior carpeting, replace all the plastics, restore the motor mounts to OEM, and pray.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
A stripped and gutted car with a bad title? Dude - you're looking at $6000 max, on a good day, with a drunk buyer.

This has nothing to do with your financial interest in the vehicle. It has been stripped and gutted. It looks uncared for. And the top requires replacement, which is around $1800 or so. To get your target price, you would have to put on a new top, get and install the interior carpeting, replace all the plastics, restore the motor mounts to OEM, and pray.
That's being generous.
In my opinion anything with a bad title is a severe reduction in the overall value of the car even if it was kept in mint condition. Ok let's say realistically it was a well taken care of Spyder without a bad title or any of the other problems then it would probably sell for at most $7500-8k being of that vintage.

Considering everything that has happened without trying to put a spin on it as you have the car is probably rated at least a 4 out of 10.

What I would do is take a chance and post it on EBay with the current information without having anything fixed and let it go to the highest bidder. You might be surprised that someone may actually bid upto 6k on an impulse for it and you will be somewhat lucky.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would return it to as mostly stock as possible. At the very least put the carpet and interior back in before selling or listing on auction.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More than anything, this really is an exercise in futility. I had a strong idea it would be received as negatively as it was. I guess one can only hope, right? I don't hate the car, and I don't really want to get rid of it. I just can't afford 2 project cars, and found a really great deal on a Wrx.

Oh well. Mods, go ahead and delete this thread.

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
More than anything, this really is an exercise in futility. I had a strong idea it would be received as negatively as it was. I guess one can only hope, right? I don't hate the car, and I don't really want to get rid of it. I just can't afford 2 project cars, and found a really great deal on a Wrx.

Oh well. Mods, go ahead and delete this thread.
Threads rarely get deleted. If you don't have to sell it then don't. You will take a big hit if you bought it from a dealer. How did you not know the title was bad? Didn't the dealer have to disclose that? Didn't the title say salvage or some such thing on it?

On a separate note, how did you fair through the hurricane. GF's sister lives in NH and they got hammered. Did you get any flooding? Did the car get wet?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Threads rarely get deleted. If you don't have to sell it then don't. You will take a big hit if you bought it from a dealer. How did you not know the title was bad? Didn't the dealer have to disclose that? Didn't the title say salvage or some such thing on it?

On a separate note, how did you fair through the hurricane. GF's sister lives in NH and they got hammered. Did you get any flooding? Did the car get wet?
It's not a big deal if it doesnt get deleted, I just don't want people getting confused. And I did buy it from a dealer. I thought I got a decent deal on it and I thought I bought it from a good dealership, as it was basically a mom and pop place... Boy was I wrong. I still inherently believe that people are good, and I got taken for a ride (again...) By VA law, I was supposed to be provided with paper work stating that the car had a salvage/rebuilt title, and all the associated paper work was supposed to be provided to me. But, the DMV doesn't reflect that... Someone came in and tried to register the car as a salvage, but thats all that came of it... A record of intent.

Legally, I could probably go to the dealer, and make him give me 1) the difference as reflected appropriate, or 2) buy my car back for what he sold it to me for... But, it seems like a waste of time and money. And, I bought the car in April, and I am not sure that it would still be a valid argument under statute of limitations.

I saw that there was damage, and that the top had a tear. But, I thought: "Hey, its a 10 year old convertible. I can accept a bad top" and I also thought that the obvious damage to the rad. support was normal for a sports car that is reputed to over steer easily. It was just a little damage to the front. But, I checked it out, and it seems mechanically sound. Inline with a poorly treated sports car.

But then, after having the car for a little bit, I started to notice things that werent... quite right. Then I got curious, and bought a carfax, as the dealer never provided me with one (wonder why???). Thats when i found out the car was a total loss title, and that's when I did all my research on it.

Basically, my standpoint on it now is: I am disgruntled at the dealer (and myself) for the ignorance that led me to buy this car. And I would like to get away from it, just because I don't really know what went wrong with it, and I got screwed. Bad feelings aren't a good thing when it comes to longevity. I am happy with the car for what it inherently is, but not with the condition it's in. I can live with it, but I want a clean title car.

On a seperate note... I haven't heard from my parents for a couple days. They live in a really rural area and have cordless phones, so powerloss = no comm's. But, if something were bad, I know that I would have already heard. And as for the car getting wet, down here in VA, I was worried about it getting flooded, but I was lucky. I kept it in the garage, so it is undamaged by the wind, and the flooding never touched my garage.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
I am disgruntled at the dealer (and myself) for the ignorance that led me to buy this car. And I would like to get away from it
A lot of people who bought sailboats say the exact same thing.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Most dealers won't sell rebuilt cars due to liability, it's odd they didn't wholesale the car to some corner lot.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you tried driving to the dealership and ramming their lot cars with your Spyder?
Haha, I have thought about ramming his office with my car, but not the cars! Maybe that's a new route to consider. "I don't know what happened officer! I was just driving my car, and all of a sudden, I lost control and hit this stealership!"

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Most dealers won't sell rebuilt cars due to liability, it's odd they didn't wholesale the car to some corner lot.
On retrospect, this dealer was shady as hell. Again, by VA law, he has to disclose the status of the title, and all associated paperwork with reconstitution of the car. I didn't find this out until I found out that VA didn't show anything special about the title.

Man, I get so heated thinking about how I got taken for a ride by some piece-o-chit dealer... :mad:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Vehicle Salvage History

There are a couple other places you can look to try to track down what happened to your Spyder.... The first one is free, and the second charges less than $5 for a vehicle history. I believe insurance companies now have to report salvaged VINs to the second website (government site).

https://www.nicb.org//
http://www.nmvtis.gov/

I had to track down the salvage history of an old Spyder of mine as they listed it as a roll over, car fire, total loss when really it was only an engine fire which did not involve an accident. Had to pull the police report and send it and a letter to CARFAX to get it corrected.. Was kind of a pain.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
There are a couple other places you can look to try to track down what happened to your Spyder.... The first one is free, and the second charges less than $5 for a vehicle history. I believe insurance companies now have to report salvaged VINs to the second website (government site).

https://www.nicb.org//
http://www.nmvtis.gov/

I had to track down the salvage history of an old Spyder of mine as they listed it as a roll over, car fire, total loss when really it was only an engine fire which did not involve an accident. Had to pull the police report and send it and a letter to CARFAX to get it corrected.. Was kind of a pain.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.
Thanks for those sites. I am definitely going to do my research through there. And the next car I buy will definitely be something that has a clean CARFAX. From here on out, no CARFAX = no sale

And it's not really bad luck. It was me being impatient and unedcuated. Hey, it could be alot worse. I could have any car other than a Spyder!! Being stuck with a Spyder is far from a bad fate. I chose a good lemon lol.

Edit: Checked with NICB, and got this, which is also what the CARFAX stated. But, the layout was different this time, since it actually put the two entries together, whereas before they weren't reflected as such. Before, I thought that it was 2 seperate entries, and now I am lead to believe that they are one, just seperated by several days for records processing or whatever else. I am definitely going to check the VIN against the other one when I get home.

VIN: JTDFR320X20044248 has been identified as a vehicle listed in the VINCheckSM Salvage Records.

Date of loss: 2010-10-07
Cause of loss: Other

Date of loss: 2010-09-25
Cause of loss: Collision

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
On retrospect, this dealer was shady as hell. Again, by VA law, he has to disclose the status of the title, and all associated paperwork with reconstitution of the car. I didn't find this out until I found out that VA didn't show anything special about the title.

Man, I get so heated thinking about how I got taken for a ride by some piece-o-chit dealer... :mad:

I know you're frustrated. It sucks to buy something that isn't what you expected. Can you name the dealer that sold you the car, so we all here can avoid them if he has any other Spyders for sale in the future? Was it possibly a flood damaged car as you found house carpet padding under the carpets?

Regarding your current situation, and if you won't get what you put into it in terms of the purchase price, would it be reasonable to put a new top on, +/- carpet per your own preference, and then use it? Otherwise, you're not going to get what you want in resale.

Mine is an 04. Right now, I'd never sell it, because primarily, it's a great car. Second, as it's now 7 years old, someone would get everything I put into it (all my mods) for a ridiculous discount (as usual, cars never appreciate or even hold their value, unless it's something of a limited production or very rare/ expensive).

Don't take the advice here as adversarial as everyone knows what the value of these cars is, and unfortunately, they're just not worth as much these days (the original ones are now > 10 years old). As others have said, you will need to adjust your price or fix it, but with a bad title, and if it runs well, I'd just assume keep it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know you're frustrated. It sucks to buy something that isn't what you expected. Can you name the dealer that sold you the car, so we all here can avoid them if he has any other Spyders for sale in the future? Was it possibly a flood damaged car as you found house carpet padding under the carpets?

Regarding your current situation, and if you won't get what you put into it in terms of the purchase price, would it be reasonable to put a new top on, +/- carpet per your own preference, and then use it? Otherwise, you're not going to get what you want in resale.

Mine is an 04. Right now, I'd never sell it, because primarily, it's a great car. Second, as it's now 7 years old, someone would get everything I put into it (all my mods) for a ridiculous discount (as usual, cars never appreciate or even hold their value, unless it's something of a limited production or very rare/ expensive).

Don't take the advice here as adversarial as everyone knows what the value of these cars is, and unfortunately, they're just not worth as much these days (the original ones are now > 10 years old). As others have said, you will need to adjust your price or fix it, but with a bad title, and if it runs well, I'd just assume keep it.
ERDOC: First and foremost, the dealer was DEER PARK AUTO SALES, and I will never, ever recommend any one buy anything from them. Information Here

And secondly, I plan on keeping this car and making it something that I really enjoy, which I have been doing. I don't hate the car, I am just disgruntled that I got screwed.

The only reason, aside from another project vehicle, that I would sell my spyder, is to get something that is way more practical. Carrying a bike in it is not very easy.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Make sure you leave a review at the link you posted, some people read those before they deal with a dealership. I hate to say it, but it's usually better to deal with large dealerships than mom'n pops when purchasing a vehicle, if you're going to deal with a dealership at all. The larger dealerships tend to stay away from anything remotely funky on a title, and wholesale out most vehicles that appear to have been in any sort of accident. Mom'n pops tend to not have enough sales experience that they would know what kind of headaches go along with selling these cars. They just want the one sale, the larger ones want your next 6 purchases.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts