MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought this for my car, but going to give the 100% legal approach a shot. Sadly Im not sure I can return this even though it hasn’t even been unboxed.
Find it at MWR for $685, and over $750 if you buy directly from Magnaflow.

Asking $600, located in SoCal 90302

CD9BB3AA-8317-459F-A243-4DE63E090C7D.jpeg

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'm confused... What's not legal about this cat pipe? Do you actually have the 49 state version?

·
Registered
115 Posts
They were gonna try to camouflage the 2zz and pretend it’s a 1zz. I think the numerous posts about people getting caught by the state rightfully changed their mind to using the BAR approved parts for the 2zz.

·
Registered
111 Posts
FYI, if you are going to do it CARB legal you can space the subframe down so the 2zz exhaust manifold clears over the subframe with no cutting needed.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So yea... this is a brand new part that I’m trying to sell ... otherwise it’s back to plan A

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve requested a RMA but they haven’t responded yet. This was sent directly from Magnaflow so I’m not sure how it works, and they also have a 25% restocking fee... trying to avoid losing hundreds of dollars to do it the harder way

·
Registered
85 Posts
This midpipe was one of the best upgrades I've put on my car. Free bump.
Interesting, I plan to eventually get this and would be interested to hear more the improvement you felt. Being in CA our options are really limited and I initially wasn't blown away to hear this was basically OEM-grade and -2 lbs from the OEM midpipe. Your comment is encouraging.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Interesting, I plan to eventually get this and would be interested to hear more the improvement you felt. Being in CA our options are really limited and I initially wasn't blown away to hear this was basically OEM-grade and -2 lbs from the OEM midpipe. Your comment is encouraging.

Initially, I had installed the AEM cold air intake, and HKS cat back exhaust. Honestly, I didn't feel too much improvement from those two items, and was considering a new header... and possibly eliminating the catalytic converter altogether.

Then, one day, I started getting this ever-increasing blatty noise from the engine bay, and stopped in to see my trusty mechanic. He took a look and found that the flexible portion of my midpipe had cracked. Apparently when that happens, it's not easily fixed, and it just cracks again.... SO that forced my hand.

I ordered the Magnaflow from Monkey Wrench Racing. Once it was installed, it was like I got a new car. More power through the mid range, and it revs a little bit quicker. Also, the increased flow seemed to give my exhaust a whole new sound and I felt like I had arrived.

Where in California are you? I happen to be in Long Beach right now. If you're nearby, I could possibly meet you and let you check it out some time this week.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where in California are you? I happen to be in Long Beach right now. If you're nearby, I could possibly meet you and let you check it out some time this week.
Im in Inglewood 90302. I honestly think that this setup with the 2ZZ swap manifold is a strong setup as you get a longer 4->2->1 header style, but I this is my last ditch attempt to make my swap legal.

Im plugging away finishing up the swap, but when I get to the point that its time to install this, it will no longer be for sale.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Im in Inglewood 90302. I honestly think that this setup with the 2ZZ swap manifold is a strong setup as you get a longer 4->2->1 header style, but I this is my last ditch attempt to make my swap legal.

Im plugging away finishing up the swap, but when I get to the point that its time to install this, it will no longer be for sale.
Heads up I saw a CA legal midpipe I think on MidshipGarage specific for the 2zz, I think one of the piping sizes was out of stock (2.5 but 2.25 should still be).

Since I still don't need to do my exhaust setup I wouldn't be needing to purchase for awhile but definitely good luck with the sale. I notice several things here pop up for sale and I wish I had a time machine to hold it for several months.

I appreciate the offer @pwnzor , I'll probably be busy this week but hopefully can get some install / feedback on some new parts. Glad to hear your experience was so good, I'm encouraged for when I do my setup.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea I plan to get that midshipgarage mid-pipe and a CARB legal header hoping to squeeze out some power and be 100% legal, but wont do that unless someone buys this first haha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts