MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have finally rounded up replacement seals for both the GSA and HPU!
Thanks go to other Spyderchat folks who did groundwork, found suppliers, provided research and tips that allowed me to complete this project. (Months of work!)

GSA kit - $95
HPU kit - $85
Both kits - $180
Shipping in continental US is usually about $8-$10 extra, and about $40 to other countries.

These kits are a collection of all the EPDM seals and o-rings needed to replace all the rubber wear parts inside the HPU and GSA, plus all of the static seals for set screws, sensors, etc. I include a container of DOW MolyKote 111 assembly lube to help the new seals seat and assemble properly. The HPU kit includes the metal encased press-in motor shaft seal that frequently fails (a hard to source part!). The GSA kit now includes a very helpful assembly tool (discontinued by Toyota).

The most common failure mode for SMT cars is:
1) the GSA seals leak, or HPU motor shaft seal leaks
2) the position sensors get drenched, or the pump motor quits running
3) your SMT system goes nuts
4) you come to Spyderchat looking for help

Two teflon piston seals in the GSA are NOT INCLUDED, but I haven't seen any failures due to wear on these two parts.

Here's my post describing how to remove the GSA from the car - LINK
Here's my post describing how to disassemble the GSA - LINK
Here are my HPU removal and overhaul instructions - LINK

HPU shaft seal:

GSA kit photo:
Plant Wood Font Rectangle Metal

GSA “fixing tool” - included in my GSA repair seal kit:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Rim Nut

HPU kit photo:
Rectangle Font Electric blue Pattern Metal

Kit Contents Table:

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plan to keep these up for sale, and maintain some stock. I just filled up half of my bins, and ordered another batch to top up the ones that were getting low. As long as my suppliers keep coming through I should be able to keep making up kits.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I plan to keep these up for sale, and maintain some stock. I just filled up half of my bins, and ordered another batch to top up the ones that were getting low. As long as my suppliers keep coming through I should be able to keep making up kits.
I don't need one now, but you never know. I'll save up and buy a set in the near future.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Great christmas gift idea.

Hi Cyclehead. I would like to ask my significant other for this as a christmas gift for me to maybe get my toy back. Could you please let me know how to steer her to you? Email, phone call, text? My smt has been sitting for over a year. I am bummed and was thinking of doing the manual conversion but still would like to try to resurrect. I bought what i thought was a good low mileage GSA and HPU but think i got hosed. The seller said 35k but i dont think he was being honest.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry I didn't see the post earlier. If you have a 5 speed SMT, I have two or three computers you can try. But as Ag says, it's never the computer. I'd suggest you start another thread with your symptoms. We'll try to help you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm interested in the GSA Kit. Do you accept Paypal?

I'm interested in the GSA Kit. Do you accept Paypal?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Still available and international shipping???

Hi there, I'm in the UK and have just had the clutch replaced on my 2000 SMT, the workshop says ne seals are required before re-assembly. Are you still doing these kits and would you ship to UK? The mechanic/myself don't seem to be able to source them anywhere.

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi there, I'm in the UK and have just had the clutch replaced on my 2000 SMT, the workshop says ne seals are required before re-assembly. Are you still doing these kits and would you ship to UK? The mechanic/myself don't seem to be able to source them anywhere.

Cheers,
Paul
I still have seal kits. Happy to ship anywhere. Send me a PM for payment details.

Also, Stewart Yohn in UK is rebuilding GSA units if you don't want to rebuild it yourself.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For long range planning, I think SMTs are in pretty good shape. The parts that usually fail are the rubber bits, the position sensors, and the accumulator. I thought I saw that new position sensors are still available, albeit expensive. ($200ish?). The porsche accumulator will likely be available for a long time to support Porsche people. $100ish on ebay. With a few parts hoarded up, plus some fresh fluid every few years I think the system should be maintainable for quite a long time.

I have about six sets of seals on hand. I'm contemplating ordering another round of seals from my supplier. They have a pretty long lead time.

Send me a PM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes Please

Hi Cycle head
Would love to buy a couple of sets - have US mailing address

Coops
Australia

I have finally rounded up replacement seals for both the GSA and HPU!
Thanks go to other Spyderchat folks who did groundwork, found suppliers, provided research and tips that allowed me to complete this project. (Months of work!)

GSA kit - $80
HPU kit - $80
Both kits - $150
Shipping in continental US is included.

These kits are a collection of all the EPDM seals and o-rings needed to replace all the rubber wear parts inside the HPU and GSA, plus most of the static seals for set screws, sensors, etc. I include a small container of DOW MolyKote 111 assembly lube to help the new seals seat and assemble properly. The HPU kit includes the metal encased press-in motor shaft seal that frequently fails (a hard to source part!)

Two teflon piston seals in the GSA are not included, but I haven't seen any failures due to wear on these two parts.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Cycle head
Would love to buy a couple of sets - have US mailing address

Coops
Australia
I just packed up the last of my GSA seals, so I am temporarily out. However I did order replacement parts before Christmas, so I should be able to get new kits going soon. I’ll post a note when I have the parts all gathered up. Sorry for the delay!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts