MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
What are you on about? There is no need to remove the soft top to install a hard top.

·
Registered
802 Posts
He's selling the hinge/brackets chopped off of a soft top, for people who want to do a soft top delete but don't have access to a grinder/cutter. (You don't have to gut your soft top, though some people think you do.)

If you want to gut your soft top, you have to chop off the bows but keep the hinge/bracket area because that's where the hardtop, chassis cross brace, and seatbelt install to.

Note: These are different for at least 2005 (probably 04, maybe 03 as well). The installation to the chassis is the same, but the interior brace hardware is bigger, and the seatbelt anchor is slightly different as well. sxlostv1- You might want to include the model year this came from.

GLWS. Gutted soft top is the way to go, IMO. I love the storage space and don't miss the soft top at all.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Sold!! to me ;) this should be one helluva spyder when I am done with it. These will give me the option to have the softtop recovered and not down the car while I am deciding on which top and what color and so on...

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
I believe it`s impossible to install a soft top without the car. Canvas has to be stretched, fitted and trimmed. But I have only done one myself on an Austin-Healey.
This is correct. There's no trimming involved, but without the rear top fabric being mounted to the chassis, it would probably take you more time to attach some of the components to the frame and you still wouldn't have completed the install...there's stuff you can't do without the top in the car.

Oh....and buy an OEM top. Aftermarket just isn't right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts