MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FS: Tanabe Sustec Pro-SS Type II coilovers - $350 (See Inside))

They're Tanabe Sustec Pro SS Type II. Discontinued in 2008, and this was the last set of them in the US warehouse. Basically Tanabe's valving in an AGX shock with threaded spring perches.

I have 3 kg/mm springs in front, and your choice of 5kg/mm or 6kg/mm springs in back. I ran the 5kg/mm, and the car both rode well and was easy to handle on the autocross course. All four shocks are still in great shape, and the dust boot is still installed in all four, although it has torn. (still covers part of the shock) All of the shocks are still in non-leaking, non-blown condition and were working very well when removed from the car. They all adjust rebound just fine (4-way adjustable).

Being the type II version, they reuse your stock top hats. Less noise, vibration, and harshness. I put these back on my stock suspension, so they wouldn't be included with the sale.

Here's the one quirk they've got right now- The front right shock has decided to stick the ride height adjuster where it is. The locking collar moves free, the spring perch collar does not. I knocked it a few times in an effort to free it, but it did not come loose. I understand a ton of PB Blaster and a 2x4 should free it. Otherwise, Tanabe may be able to provide replacement spring perches so you could just cut one off. It's likely just grit in there, since we don't get rust here in Colorado.

$350.00 +Shipping (~$50), Willing to Negotiate within reason.

edit: Pictures are up. Also, bumpstops are installed and have always been used with these shocks. The two black springs are tanabe, and the two blue ones are hypercoils. The 6 kg/mm springs I can trade for the hypercoils are also tanabe.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a picture of the seized collar:

Here's what the adjusters are like:

Here's pictures of each of the 4 shocks, to show they aren't seeping or blown:

Here's the set as a whole:

FYI- the bumpstops are, and have always been installed on these coilovers. I'll add that to the first post.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats your idea on the front right strut that's seized? Spray a bunch of lubricant or PB blaster on it to try to get it moving again?
Either that, or a bit of heat to try to get it unstuck. Or call tanabe and get a new collar and just cut this one off.

Rebuildable?
I don't believe so, but you'd have to check with Tanabe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.