MR2 SpyderChat banner

FS: Tom's Braces Reproductions

25K views 94 replies 29 participants last post by  king kong 
#1 · (Edited)
Ever since I got my Spyder, I wanted to stiffen up the chassis. According to some, Tom's Racing (and to a lesser degree) Corky's) RMBs (Rear Member Brace) are among those braces which make the biggest difference.
So I set out to get my hands on one. Unfortunately these braces are extremely hard to come by, although I did manage to have one shipped over from Japan. I took the opportunity to make replicas of these as I did with the breastplates. A lot of time has passed, but they're now completely ready and available!

Along with the RMB from Japan came another, smaller brace which connects the toe arm pick up points. I also made replicas of these. I couldn't find an official name for them so I dubbed them TAB's (Toe Arm Brace).

At the moment I have 0 RMB's and 0 TAB's left

This is the RMB. As you can see it comes with a supporting beam on either side, as well as 4 bolts, washers and nuts to bolt them all together. The brace works both on pre- and post facelift models. They're made of steel like the originals, and feature a triple-layer powder coating. The price is €295,00 before shipping.

This is the TAB. It's an exact replica of the Tom's one and is very easy to mount. The price is €95,00 before shipping.

Finally a few things you should be aware of about the RMB: It takes two people to fit it. Installation is very doable, but will take some tools, a lift and a bit of modification (or deletion) of the platic bits below the engine. Also, if you run a Moroso oil pan, this brace will not work. If you run an engine other than either a 1ZZ or 2ZZ, I can't guarantee this brace will fit.

Some pictures of the braces on a customer's car:

With some cutting, even the plastic bits can go back on:

Something important to note: Due to the Corona Virus, shipment costs have been raised. A full set of braces now costs 36 Euros to ship within Europe, and 88.30 euros to the US and other countries outside of Europe.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Not that I'm aware of. These are now sold out but I will make a new batch if there's enough interest. Once there's five people on the list I'll start fabbin'.

PS: The new batch of RMB's will be slightly different in that they will be Moroso-compatible (but they will also work fine with the stock oil pan of course).

1: 2ZZGZE
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Well if you could provide me with a bunch of pictures of the underside of the engine compartment of a K-swapped car, I could make an educated guess as to whether they'd fit. They might.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Hey man, unfortunately all 10 of the braces in this batch are spoken for, so I probably can't do a deal for two unless someone drops out. I will probably make a new batch but the lead times on these is quite long (as you might've noticed). That being said, the current batch is now at the powder coater's and they should be ready any day now! I'll contact everyone on the list when they are :).

1: 2ZZGZE
2: scrmnchkn
3: pwnzor
4: Gabzor
5: Anonymous Youtuber
6: MR2-D2
7: Olde
8: rwheelz
9: Nerdboi72
10: Francis1

Discussion starter · #18 ·
Just a quick heads up: Someone who bought a brace from the first batch (or rather, a complete set of RMB + TAB) traded his in for one from the second batch. The box was never opened, so the braces are still new.

So I have one set of a braces available for those interested, the RMB is just not Moroso-compatible.

Discussion starter · #21 ·
The RMB will work with 1ZZ and 2ZZ engines with Moroso pans, as far as K swaps go I'm just not sure. The TAB will work just fine though.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Alright good sir, noted. The list is as follows now:

1: Boor
2: Boor
3: 2ZZGZE
4: Karthoum
5: Moca2cv
6: Jamesdoyle917
7: Fredycro
8: Sonar
9: TrkMRS
10: xChris
11:

I'm actually making eleven this time (I thought I'd think of Sonar), so there's a slot open for anyone who's interested.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
I'm making sets so it's for both, but you don't have to get a full set of course. So I'll put your name down!

Discussion starter · #34 ·
I can't guarantee there'll be any available, but I've put down your name! If not, you're first in line for the next batch :)

PS: the current batch is at the powder coater's, they've been closed for the holidays so that took a bit longer, but should be ready very soon!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.