MR2 SpyderChat banner

FS: Tom's Braces Reproductions

25K views 94 replies 29 participants last post by  king kong 
#1 · (Edited)
Ever since I got my Spyder, I wanted to stiffen up the chassis. According to some, Tom's Racing (and to a lesser degree) Corky's) RMBs (Rear Member Brace) are among those braces which make the biggest difference.
So I set out to get my hands on one. Unfortunately these braces are extremely hard to come by, although I did manage to have one shipped over from Japan. I took the opportunity to make replicas of these as I did with the breastplates. A lot of time has passed, but they're now completely ready and available!

Along with the RMB from Japan came another, smaller brace which connects the toe arm pick up points. I also made replicas of these. I couldn't find an official name for them so I dubbed them TAB's (Toe Arm Brace).

At the moment I have 0 RMB's and 0 TAB's left

This is the RMB. As you can see it comes with a supporting beam on either side, as well as 4 bolts, washers and nuts to bolt them all together. The brace works both on pre- and post facelift models. They're made of steel like the originals, and feature a triple-layer powder coating. The price is €295,00 before shipping.

This is the TAB. It's an exact replica of the Tom's one and is very easy to mount. The price is €95,00 before shipping.

Finally a few things you should be aware of about the RMB: It takes two people to fit it. Installation is very doable, but will take some tools, a lift and a bit of modification (or deletion) of the platic bits below the engine. Also, if you run a Moroso oil pan, this brace will not work. If you run an engine other than either a 1ZZ or 2ZZ, I can't guarantee this brace will fit.

Some pictures of the braces on a customer's car:

With some cutting, even the plastic bits can go back on:

Something important to note: Due to the Corona Virus, shipment costs have been raised. A full set of braces now costs 36 Euros to ship within Europe, and 88.30 euros to the US and other countries outside of Europe.

See less See more
#68 ·
I have bought all of Snelbaard's braces for front and rear. TOP NOTCH quality. I mean the craftmanship is stunning with great technical support too. When you install them, you'll swear that maybe it's a little off. It is NOT. It is exactly on and you'll fight it a bit to get it on. A friend could be helpful. And no tightening ANYthing until all bolts are threaded. ;-) But it will noticeably stiffen things up and give you more confidence as you turn into corners. I race my Spyder and am more than pleased. Considering the strength of the US dollar (more like a dying Euro, actually), these are now 25% less than what I paid last spring!

#71 ·
Here's a picture of the very first prototype. As you can see it does clear the spare wheel compartment, however you will have to ditch the lid. It's just like the TRD brace in that respect really. The final product will look ever so slightly differently, there will aso be a RHD version.

#73 ·
The brake fluid reservoir on RHD cars is (for some reason) placed a bit higher up than on LHD cars. Therefore the brace has to have a cutout so as not for the two to interfere. Here's a prototype for the RHD version (Holes in the bar will be there for the production spec):

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.