MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ever since I got my Spyder, I wanted to stiffen up the chassis. According to some, Tom's Racing (and to a lesser degree Corky's) RMBs (Rear Member Brace) are among those braces which make the biggest difference.
So I set out to get my hands on one. Unfortunately these braces are extremely hard to come by, although I did manage to have one shipped over from Japan. I took the opportunity to make replicas of these as I did with the breastplates. These are now ready and available!

Along with the RMB from Japan came another, smaller brace which connects the toe arm pick up points. I also made replicas of these. I couldn't find an official name for them so I dubbed them TAB's (Toe Arm Brace).

At the moment I have 0 RMB's and 0 TAB's left

This is the RMB. As you can see it comes with a supporting beam on either side, as well as 4 bolts, washers and nuts to bolt them all together. The brace works both on pre- and post facelift models. They're made of steel like the originals, and feature a triple-layer powder coating. The price is €295,00 including vat, excluding shipping.

This is the TAB. It's an exact replica of the Tom's one and is very easy to mount. The price is €95,00 including vat, excluding shipping.

Finally a few things you should be aware of about the RMB: It takes two people to fit it. Installation is very doable, but will take some tools, a lift and a bit of modification (or deletion) of the platic bits below the engine. Also, if you run a Moroso oil pan, this brace will not work. If you run an engine other than either a 1ZZ or 2ZZ, I can't guarantee this brace will fit.

Some pictures of the braces on a customer's car:

With some cutting, even the plastic bits can go back on:

Something important to note: Due to the Corona Virus, shipment costs have been raised. A full set of braces now costs 36 Euros to ship within Europe, and 88.30 euros to the US and other countries outside of Europe.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's great! I still have several so you should be covered. Let me know when you're ready.

·
Registered
157 Posts
$530 shipped to US for the whole setup rounded up. Just so nobody else needs the conversion. Let me know if I'm incorrect.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well actually it's a bit less, these are the amounts in Euros:

RMB: 295
TAB: 95
Shipping: 88.30
Total: 478.30

And with the exchange rate PayPal uses today that would come down to $501.73. The exchange rate is subject to change of course but you can look that up on PayPal's site.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ever since I got my Spyder, I wanted to stiffen up the chassis. According to some, Tom's Racing (and to a lesser degree Corky's) RMBs (Rear Member Brace) are among those braces which make the biggest difference.
So I set out to get my hands on one. Unfortunately these braces are extremely hard to come by, although I did manage to have one shipped over from Japan. I took the opportunity to make replicas of these as I did with the breastplates. These are now ready and available!

Along with the RMB from Japan came another, smaller brace which connects the toe arm pick up points. I also made replicas of these. I couldn't find an official name for them so I dubbed them TAB's (Toe Arm Brace).

At the moment I have 5 RMB's and 6 TAB's left

This is the RMB. As you can see it comes with a supporting beam on either side, as well as 4 bolts, washers and nuts to bolt them all together. The brace works both on pre- and post facelift models. They're made of steel like the originals, and feature a triple-layer powder coating. The price is €295,00 including vat, excluding shipping.

This is the TAB. It's an exact replica of the Tom's one and is very easy to mount. The price is €95,00 including vat, excluding shipping.

Finally a few things you should be aware of about the RMB: It takes two people to fit it. Installation is very doable, but will take some tools, a lift and a bit of modification (or deletion) of the platic bits below the engine. Also, if you run a Moroso oil pan, this brace will not work. If you run an engine other than either a 1ZZ or 2ZZ, I can't guarantee this brace will fit.

Some pictures of the braces on a customer's car:

With some cutting, even the plastic bits can go back on:

Something important to note: Due to the Corona Virus, shipment costs have been raised. A full set of braces now costs 36 Euros to ship within Europe, and 88.30 euros to the US and other countries outside of Europe.
Is it possible to procur one of your Corkys brace remake? I’m in US & was about to buy the Cosco but found comments persuading.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be making a new batch of 10 of these. They will be slightly different in that they will work with a Moroso pan this time around. Seems like a lot of people (including me) would like to have that flexibility. The list so far:

1: 2ZZGZE
2: scrmnchkn
3: pwnzor
4: Gabzor
5: Anonymous Youtuber
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes, well it's a possibility yours could be red. However, the powder coater will charge me more if I have several colours for my batch of braces. So I will have to charge you a 'custom colour' fee. Don't know what that is yet but I can look into it. Also there are many types of red, which would you like? It can only be a RAL colour.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay so I asked the powder coating company and what I feared is true: they charge 102,85 euros for every individual colour they have to prepare. So if yours is the only differing colour, that surcharge would be 102.85 euros. A bit steep. Alternatively I could arrange for your brace not to be powder coated, and give you a discount for that. You'd then have to arrange painting it red yourself.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you'll do that and still include a set of your decals, then I'll put them under the clear coat. Credit where it's due, etc...

Let's do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts