MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oddly, I don't see this mentioned much in the forums, or I'm blinder than I thought! I see plenty of threads about how to relieve fuel pressure, but none on filter replacement.

Where is the fuel filter located on this car? Anything worth knowing to replace?

·
Registered
731 Posts
It is an in-tank fuel filter. You will have to gain access to the tank from behind the cubbies and remove the lock-ring to get to it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It's inside the fuel tank!I would replace the fuel pump if your wanting to replace the filter.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... and that would explain why I don't see anything about replacing it!

Thanks mate.

·
Registered
731 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahaha awesome. Wasn't really having a problem, just to replace as routine maintenance, but yep. I can see that won't be happening until it's time for a fuel pump.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
It is less of a conventional filter that you change out and more of a sock that goes over the fuel pick up at the fuel pump and prevents larger particles from being picked up into the fuel system. I don't know if it necessarily ever needs to get changed unless it is blocked or clogged up.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
It is less of a conventional filter that you change out and more of a sock that goes over the fuel pick up at the fuel pump and prevents larger particles from being picked up into the fuel system. I don't know if it necessarily ever needs to get changed unless it is blocked or clogged up.
WRONG!
The sock (as you call it) does exactly what you describe. But the filter element itself is actually encapsulated in the lower half of the fuel pump housing. However, I would tend to agree about the need to change the filter itself until you start to approach the sort of mileage that Cap has wracked up with his Spyder.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
WRONG!
The sock (as you call it) does exactly what you describe. But the filter element itself is actually encapsulated in the lower half of the fuel pump housing. However, I would tend to agree about the need to change the filter itself until you start to approach the sort of mileage that Cap has wracked up with his Spyder.
+1. If you're replacing the filter, you might as well replace all the pieces in there since they are cheap (except the pump) like all the O-rings and such and you might as well get a new top half too.

The "sock" piece is just for large debris on the pickup.

When you're doing the install, be sure to set your level indicator so your gauge reads accurately.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Is this just a simple swap out item or is there a write up someone can link?

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts