MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Not unless you have a turbo or supercharger. If you have issues with your injectors you can try getting them cleaned or put new factory ones in. But just swapping to a bigger injector without serious additional power and the need for more fuel is unnecessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Changing to larger flow injectors without modifications requiring them will change to STFT and LTFT possibly causing MIL. The ECU likes to see trim values in the single digit range. If you decide to try the MAF mod then larger injectors would be par for the course.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I was thinking about doing the MAF mod but it sounds risky, I don't want to damage the engine.
I ran it for a few years with zero problems, a very nice mod that is reversible and relatively cheap. You can feel and enjoy the added performance. Thanks Cap! I have since done other mods that negated the MAF mod but gained very little.

Do your research, it is all here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've done a fair amount of research on this mod, mostly on this site, and just when I'm ready to get the injectors I think about engine ping and how bad that is for the engine. Am I being overly cautions or should I just do it?

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Engine Ping is bad..

Run Premium fuel to prevent the Ping under HOT ( >100 Deg Outside ) Conditions at 4KRPM and WOT.. That is the ONLY Condition I herd it at.. That is when I switched to Premium and re-ran the same conditions.. No Ping..

The engine is happy to give you a better Grin when you drive..

Cap

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I've done a fair amount of research on this mod, mostly on this site, and just when I'm ready to get the injectors I think about engine ping and how bad that is for the engine. Am I being overly cautions or should I just do it?
I have a couple of friends that have been running the MAF mod for awhile also. Both followed the exact steps as I did (Cap's thread) and neither have had any issues at all. I did notice a more sudden drop when reducing very light throttle. It is a normal cut just a bit more noticeable. Ping is very bad for an engine but following the instructions exactly doesn't produce any issues what so ever, just Permagrin.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was reading a thread about this mod and it said to replace the fuel pressure regulator, my question is how will the aftermarket regulator raise the fuel pressure if it is a direct replacement.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Rather than replace the Injectors, a replacement fuel pressure regulator is modified to relief at a higher pressure, then it's replaced in the tank..

The MAF Spacer has been a problem.. I made the original ones, and others have found different solutions.. nothing really great..

Cap

·
Registered
5,645 Posts

Cap

1 - 16 of 16 Posts