MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, please help me identify what's the issue. At idle the RPMs are going down to 500 or so randomly and while accelerating on low RPMs ( 2000-3000) it is choking while accelerating a little bit. I recorded a video and I'll post it on here. If you know what it is please let me know. I suspect the fuel pump but I am highly not knowledgeable to even have an opinion on this matter

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Hard to tell anything from the video.

Start by cleaning the MAF. Check the MAF tube and air filter box for any obstructions

If this does not help...

Unplug the upstream O2 sensors from the engine harness. This will run open loop no O2 feedback. How does it run in open loop.

Does the ECU show any saved or pending DTC's.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
Unplug the upstream O2 sensors from the engine harness. This will run open loop no O2 feedback. How does it run in open loop.
After you do that, and before you run it.. Disconnect the Battery for 10 Minutes, then re-connect.. this will 'Un-Learn' any bad data that might have been created with funkey O2 Sensors..

Then proceed with the test

Cap

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i went to autozone for a scan. Here are the results. oddly enough after i disconnect the upstream O2 sensor and the air filter sensor and i reconnected them - there is no problem with the car ( for now )
72212571_2363540353742491_6803721078720954368_n.jpg

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
so i went to autozone for a scan. Here are the results. oddly enough after i disconnect the upstream O2 sensor and the air filter sensor and i reconnected them - there is no problem with the car ( for now )
This is extremely hard to read. It looks like it was taken with the MAF disconnected because you have faults for the MAF and IAT circuits. But you do seem to have a misfire on Cylinder 3 (P0303). Try swap coil 3 to another cylinder and see if the fault moves to that cylinder. If not swap the spark plug 3 to another cylinder. If not swap injector 3 to another cylinder. And if not, do a compression test.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. Just to let you know I've change the sparkplugs in April 2019 haven't had problem with them. I'll do what you've suggested and let you know guys. Thanks a bunch !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Swapped the coils and spark plugs from cyl. 3 to cyl 2. and went for another OBS scan. Same result. Can we say it is the injector now ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you suggest to replace the injector , what injector am i looking for ? What do you suggest ?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
If the fault is in cylinder #3, we are talking about the fuel injector for #3. You could swap it to another cylinder, the same drill that you did with the plug and the coil. Read the advice from Frank.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
I don't understand why you still have your MAF unplugged and showing DTC's for the MAF and IAT.

I think we've ruled out a spark plug or coil fault on cylinder three. So this leaves the possibility of an injector fault or a vacuum leak specifically on that cylinder or internal problem causing misfire.

Here's a quick video on swapping the injectors. Check the little rubber donut seat for each injector as these can cause a vacuum leak. The other possibility is a leak from the intake plenum gasket. Anyway move the injectors around and let's see what happens.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm having similiar issues, and have had them in the past. My car didn't throw a code, but replacing the MAF fixed it. If your MAF isn't unplugged, start by replacing this. Since you are having these codes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I replaced the air sensor and nothing changed. Same problem. A friend told me "bad coil". What do you think ?

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I replaced the air sensor and nothing changed. Same problem. A friend told me "bad coil". What do you think ?
Didn't you just move the #3 coil to a different cyl and the code did not follow? I think you time would be better spent moving the #3 injector to a different cyl after clearing the codes then see if the code follows the injector.

The spyder 1ZZ uses a green colored injector. The dealer, Rock Auto or MRW has them.
I have had good success using Chevron injector cleaner solving injector based misfire codes.
I would probably change all the injectors at the same time if one were bad, just like spark plugs and ignition coils and light bulbs.....etc

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Didn't you just move the #3 coil to a different cyl and the code did not follow? I think you time would be better spent moving the #3 injector to a different cyl after clearing the codes then see if the code follows the injector.
yeah i did, now it shows cyl 2, also injector 3 is in cyl 2 now so it's one or the other i guess

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
yeah i did, now it shows cyl 2, also injector 3 is in cyl 2 now so it's one or the other i guess
Well, you said that you moved the coil and nothing changed. If you are not sure what you actually observed, just make sure that the coil and injector get to different cylinders so you can tell for sure which one is making the trouble.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
You will find the problem once you move either the coil or injector to a different cylinder and see where the code comes from, it could be either. It is best to do only one thing at a time when diagnosing problems. It is probably easier to move the coil to a different cyl like 1 or 4.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have an issue I believe with the fuel pump but I'm not sure. Rather often while I'm driving the engine will stall while I'm slowing down, sometimes when braking and sometimes when downshifting. I think the fuel pump from the 1zz can't keep up with the 2zz but I have no clue. This is currently out of my area but the only other thing I can really think of is back pressure because I'm running the stock muffler. I don't have a very high budget and I was really hoping to get some help here.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
Wow..

Way off base here..
1) Fuel pump delivers fuel.. it will cause problems upon acceleration.. or if the pump is really bad, it will not allow normal running..

2) 'Back Pressure'.. again, will cause acceleration problems..

SOLUTIONS.. I understand you are new here.. PLEASE start your own thread, so we can focus on your problems in YOUR self title thread..

What are all the Symptoms of the car.. does it start OK.. does it run OK.. how long has the Swap been running.. who did the swap, and why.. What has been done to try and fix the problems?..

We need a little Foreplay before we can jump into the diagnosis part..

Oh.. and.. Welcome to Spyderchat..

Cap

1 - 20 of 20 Posts