MR2 SpyderChat banner

261 - 280 of 290 Posts

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,812 Posts
You're not thinking about coming over to the dark side are you ?
Not unless I can obtain a full set of fenders that I can bolt or mold the flairs to. I really like the look of my car but I have nothing left to mod so I start thinking,,,what if,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thread revival just pulled off a mold for my flares, not perfect but I think it'll work. Excuse the absolute mess.

Hoping I can make some flares when I get back from vacation

·
Registered
322 Posts
flares

looks like you have taken a mould off a factory fender, so what's the plan for extending the arch?

when i looked a a UK built race car, they had removed the factory arch totally and replaced it with a HUGH flare, so it basically gave the factory 50mm fender flare + another 50 or 60mm outwards. that was done so there was enough upward travel with a much wider wheel....the tyre goes up into the arch. is that your plan??

·
Registered
495 Posts
looks like you have taken a mould off a factory fender, so what's the plan for extending the arch?

when i looked a a UK built race car, they had removed the factory arch totally and replaced it with a HUGH flare, so it basically gave the factory 50mm fender flare + another 50 or 60mm outwards. that was done so there was enough upward travel with a much wider wheel....the tyre goes up into the arch. is that your plan??
What I did was take the profile of the factory fender and extended it out ~50mm and modeled it after the rogue motorsports flares. That is basically the plan, to fit 17x10 (or as close as I can get to it) wheels in the rear. Then the fronts can be modified to add 25mm in front. I'm really looking forward to pulling the first part and seeming what can be done.

·
Registered
542 Posts
What I did was take the profile of the factory fender and extended it out ~50mm and modeled it after the rogue motorsports flares. That is basically the plan, to fit 17x10 (or as close as I can get to it) wheels in the rear. Then the fronts can be modified to add 25mm in front. I'm really looking forward to pulling the first part and seeming what can be done.
Looks nice. BTW do you have more pictures like something zoomed out and shots with the spyder?

·
Registered
937 Posts

nice!
cant wait to see it

·
Registered
495 Posts
Minor update....
I was able to pull a rough part to check fitment. The good news is the flare looks like it'll be the right size. Bad news is the mold took a beating so I'm going to have to repair it and make some corrections to make the final part a lot nicer. The part I made was only 2 plys thick so it's really flimsy, but it gave me an idea of what it would look like.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That looks pretty good. Have you made a mold for the front?

What ever happened to Luxuryparts working on some fender flares?

·
Registered
495 Posts
The same flare can be used in front just have to cut off an inch. No idea what happens with LP. Not sure if they ever seriously started making them

·
Registered
802 Posts
Well call these ChaseClinchedFlares....these are the 10cm new school flares

15x11+20 w/ 275/35/15 hoosiers. 25mm spacer front and rear. Ive decided to run 5mm front spacer instead. This tire wheel size requires trimming/welding of the existing pinch welds.

They also sell a 7cm and a 4cm flare this same style. The 4cm would prolly be close to stock so that wont do any good. I imagine the 7cm is what most people will opt for.

clinchedflares.com

261 - 280 of 290 Posts
About this Discussion
289 Replies
80 Participants
RickS
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing