MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
still cant beat castrol edge syntec that everyone is using in our cars (0w-30) euro formula

right now its on sale at autozone for $32.99 5 quarts + fram oil filter
or at o'reilly 5+ quart jug for $29.99 i know it still doesnt beat the $26 after rebate but, at least you dont have to deal with rebates :)

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
still cant beat castrol edge syntec that everyone is using in our cars (0w-30) euro formula

right now its on sale at autozone for $32.99 5 quarts + fram oil filter
or at o'reilly 5+ quart jug for $29.99 i know it still doesnt beat the $26 after rebate but, at least you dont have to deal with rebates :)
It's "instant rebate" not a "mail-in rebate," so you don't have to mail anything in. Like you said, whether you use Mobil 1 or not, can't beat $26 for a case of full synthetic oil and that's 6 quarts vs. 5 quarts with the Castrol Edge Syntec.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Having used both I can tell you without a doubt that the Castrol Euro 0W-30 is a far superior oil than the Mobil 1. As soon as I changed I was amazed at how much more quiet the engine sounded. I know I am not the only one who has noticed this phenomena.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
It's "instant rebate" not a "mail-in rebate," so you don't have to mail anything in. Like you said, whether you use Mobil 1 or not, can't beat $26 for a case of full synthetic oil and that's 6 quarts vs. 5 quarts with the Castrol Edge Syntec.
oops. misread that :/

Having used both I can tell you without a doubt that the Castrol Euro 0W-30 is a far superior oil than the Mobil 1. As soon as I changed I was amazed at how much more quiet the engine sounded. I know I am not the only one who has noticed this phenomena.
agreed. ever since ive put this in my car, the engine noise is A LOT quieter and my oil consumption is less, then again i went from conventional oil to this :p

·
Registered
229 Posts
oops. misread that :/

agreed. ever since ive put this in my car, the engine noise is A LOT quieter and my oil consumption is less, then again i went from conventional oil to this :p
ewww poop oil... I mean conventional oil...

I'm mobil 1 but might do the switch to castrol since its whats been run on this engine.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
(cough) Bullshit (cough)... Far superior? Hahaha, that's funny:lol: They are both very high quality synthetics. I have used both, and can discern no difference. Now, if you can produce Blackstone Lab findings, or dynographs, or some other relevant empirical findings, I will gladly apologize... But what you are saying is the equivalent of, "My Ford is far superior to your Chevy". All that oil comes from "them" anyway...

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
(cough) Bullshit (cough)... Far superior? Hahaha, that's funny:lol: They are both very high quality synthetics. I have used both, and can discern no difference. Now, if you can produce Blackstone Lab findings, or dynographs, or some other relevant empirical findings, I will gladly apologize... But what you are saying is the equivalent of, "My Ford is far superior to your Chevy". All that oil comes from "them" anyway...
It depends on which Mobil 1 oil that is being used. If it's the 5W-30 Mobil then I can say there is more valve train wear then the Euro Castrol. When I ran Mobil the valve train on the 2zz was loud and when switching to GC it quieted down significantly because it offers more protection.

I say get the best oil for the money. Mobil 1 5W-30 is crap and in some cases good old dyno has been shown to be better.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
It depends on which Mobil 1 oil that is being used. If it's the 5W-30 Mobil then I can say there is more valve train wear then the Euro Castrol. When I ran Mobil the valve train on the 2zz was loud and when switching to GC it quieted down significantly because it offers more protection.

I say get the best oil for the money. Mobil 1 5W-30 is crap and in some cases good old dyno has been shown to be better.
I prefer to use Euro Castrol as well. But I just think it is funny that this guy always pulls stuff like this out of his backside:) He said, "I can tell you without a doubt that Castrol is a far superior oil to Mobil 1". First of all, this guy has shown in the past that he spouts off opinions as facts (all the BS about minorities). Second, never trust anyone who says things like "without a doubt" or "I guarantee" or "trust me on this"... Third, if there are any provable differences, it seems logical that they would fairly minor--not "far superior"^_^

I would jave to see some data before believing that Mobil 1 is crap. It is after all used by a good number of people who know a thing or two.

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
I prefer to use Euro Castrol as well. But I just think it is funny that this guy always pulls stuff like this out of his backside:) He said, "I can tell you without a doubt that Castrol is a far superior oil to Mobil 1". First of all, this guy has shown in the past that he spouts off opinions as facts (all the BS about minorities). Second, never trust anyone who says things like "without a doubt" or "I guarantee" or "trust me on this"... Third, if there are any provable differences, it seems logical that they would fairly minor--not "far superior"^_^

I would jave to see some data before believing that Mobil 1 is crap. It is after all used by a good number of people who know a thing or two.
I have seen on a few oil analysis reports for the 1zz using the Mobil 1 product an increase in chromium and iron which is most likely coming from the valve train. Although the wear metals were high Blackstone thought it was somewhat normal but I didn't considering it was one of a few oils that seemed to do this and I think over time it can though off the lifter clearances early.

With the GC from many of the UOA I have seen the level of chromium is quiet low and I believe it's doing it's job.

One other thing that has been discussed on BOBISTHEOILGUY which I found fascinating is the fact that Mobil formulations are so bad now that Castrol and Pennzoil were both claiming that their oil offers twice the level of wear protection then Mobil.

I not one to give into advertising however when a company makes a bold statement and does not say leading brand but the actual name of the company it tells you that they would not do so unless they have evidence to back it up otherwise Mobil would take their case to the FTC which they have done in the past for false advertising. Mobil's silence speaks volumes and it seems that many of these oil companies will use this fact to their advantage.

It's not that Castrol and Pennzoil are far superior to Mobil, it's just that the Mobil formulations are crap and they do not care because they can save money and live on name alone.

The only Mobil product that is worth using is the Euro 0W-40 because it has to meet some stringent European standards.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I have seen on a few oil analysis reports for the 1zz using the Mobil 1 product an increase in chromium and iron which is most likely coming from the valve train. Although the wear metals were high Blackstone thought it was somewhat normal but I didn't considering it was one of a few oils that seemed to do this and I think over time it can though off the lifter clearances early.

With the GC from many of the UOA I have seen the level of chromium is quiet low and I believe it's doing it's job.

One other thing that has been discussed on BOBISTHEOILGUY which I found fascinating is the fact that Mobil formulations are so bad now that Castrol and Pennzoil were both claiming that their oil offers twice the level of wear protection then Mobil.

I not one to give into advertising however when a company makes a bold statement and does not say leading brand but the actual name of the company it tells you that they would not do so unless they have evidence to back it up otherwise Mobil would take their case to the FTC which they have done in the past for false advertising. Mobil's silence speaks volumes and it seems that many of these oil companies will use this fact to their advantage.

It's not that Castrol and Pennzoil are far superior to Mobil, it's just that the Mobil formulations are crap and they do not care because they can save money and live on name alone.

The only Mobil product that is worth using is the Euro 0W-40 because it has to meet some stringent European standards.
I know that this is an area of interest for you, and I am confident that your knowledge of motor oil is "far superior" to mine:) However, nothing you have posted has any scientific value at all. Saying this guy got bad results when there are hundreds of variables not being controlled is meaningless. There is Euro Castrol in my car right now, so I don't disagree with the recommendation. But, In my 1ZZ Spyder I have used Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, and most recently Euro Castrol. The claims I responded to were very different from what I experienced...

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I was interested in your Bobistheoilguy site, so I just went there. Page opened up and the first thing I sa was a big Castrol click-thru ad... I'm just sayin'...

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
I know that this is an area of interest for you, and I am confident that your knowledge of motor oil is "far superior" to mine:) However, nothing you have posted has any scientific value at all. Saying this guy got bad results when there are hundreds of variables not being controlled is meaningless. There is Euro Castrol in my car right now, so I don't disagree with the recommendation. But, In my 1ZZ Spyder I have used Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, and most recently Euro Castrol. The claims I responded to were very different from what I experienced...
It depends on how you measure your claims. I prefer looking at oil analysis trends and virgin oil analysis which I have seen more then enough evidence to draw my own conclusions over the years.

In order to provide a more accurate scientific study using the scientific method with control groups and double blind test to show the wear between two engines over a period of time is an immense undertaking.
I also like choosing an A3 rated oil especially when it amounts to the same price. I have come to the conclusion that Mobil 10W-30 is the worst oil to put in your car because it does not offer sufficient viscosity and it decreases the resistance to volatility as a result.

So how does this translate in the real world is longevity of keeping your engine running at peak efficiency and power longer. Basically a healthy motor with less overall wear.

Without using the scientific method we could not even make the basic claim that cheap Walmart Dino oil is any better then the best Synthetic and that we are all wasting our money.

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
I was interested in your Bobistheoilguy site, so I just went there. Page opened up and the first thing I sa was a big Castrol click-thru ad... I'm just sayin'...
It's an unbiased forum, however there are numerous site sponsors and believe me there are enough fights on their to kick out any propagation of oil bias.
Many times I have seen Amsoil reps get their asses handed to them and they are one of the better brands.

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,206 Posts
I've used both the Castro and Mobile One. I started to use the Castro when we had the oil discussion awhile back. I found the car got a bit louder with the Castro and I felt it ran differently, I would say not as smooth as the Mobil 1. I even switched to the Pennzoil Synthetic for two oil changes ( I was changing oil approx every 5k) and my car liked it. I did wind up switching back to the Mobil 1 and will test it on the 2zz. I plan on doing an oil analysis after 2 oil changes and then trying the Pennzoil again.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
It's an unbiased forum, however there are numerous site sponsors and believe me there are enough fights on their to kick out any propagation of oil bias.
Many times I have seen Amsoil reps get their asses handed to them and they are one of the better brands.
I don't doubt that GC is fantastic oil--that is why I pay for it. But, there is no such thing as an unbiased forum that is being supported by companies that they review. I used to do ad buys, I know exactly how this works--directly and indirectly.

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
I don't doubt that GC is fantastic oil--that is why I pay for it. But, there is no such thing as an unbiased forum that is being supported by companies that they review. I used to do ad buys, I know exactly how this works--directly and indirectly.
Lets say for argument sake this site is sponsored by Mobil. Does this mean that there is no more Mobil bashing. Bobistheoil guy is quiet established as being a good unbiased resource simply because the bias is always being challenged.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Lets say for argument sake this site is sponsored by Mobil. Does this mean that there is no more Mobil bashing. Bobistheoil guy is quiet established as being a good unbiased resource simply because the bias is always being challenged.
C'mon man:) Of course that is what it means. Like I said, I have worked with periodical ad buys before--and I have done buys with online media as well. Part of the package almost always includes some "unbiased product reviews" to be done throughout the package. It doesn't mean that Bob is not a decent guy, it doesn't mean that he doesn't have good info on his site--it just means that Bob is not stupid enough to bite the hand feeding him:)

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
C'mon man:) Of course that is what it means. Like I said, I have worked with periodical ad buys before--and I have done buys with online media as well. Part of the package almost always includes some "unbiased product reviews" to be done throughout the package. It doesn't mean that Bob is not a decent guy, it doesn't mean that he doesn't have good info on his site--it just means that Bob is not stupid enough to bite the hand feeding him:)

I think we have a misunderstanding. Bob gives out a knowledge base on the basics of oil knowledge on his homepage which does not have anything to do with the site sponsors or promoting their products.

It is the oil forum which is being debated by those that are in the oil industry as well as enthusiasts. There are countless number of oil analysis for review from the various oils and a lot of oil bashing. There is no right or wrong only what is in the oil analysis and general consensus based on trends. Euro Castrol has gotten rave reviews because it proved it's self as being consistently stellar oil again based on measurable trends and so has Pennzoil Platinum. That is how good oils are discovered.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.